Honored Contributor

Re: Suddenly allergic to bismuth oxychloride and Too Faced :(((

On 6/20/2014 suzyQ3 said:
On 6/20/2014 HappyDaze said:

I never even knew Too Faced used that ingredient. I wonder if that is just some of the newer products. I will have to check my older palettes. Fortunately, I haven't experienced a problem with that ingredient. Sorry you are experiencing that because it is not fun. Smiley Sad

I actually had reactions to Clinique skincare and some of their eyeshadows years ago and they are suppose to be hypoallergenic. Hypoallergenic does not guarantee you won't have a reaction because it depends on what you are allergic to.

I was under the impression that "hypoallergenic" means about as much as "natural" when it come to labeling terms. Wink

exactly! lol! Or as much as "Dermatologist tested"! Wink

Valued Contributor

On 6/20/2014 KatCat1 said:

Gosh, I feel for you. You should stick with cosmetics that are hypo-allergic like Clinique, alba Botanica, almay, Bobbi Brown & Laura Mercier (both have some), etc. Many years ago I became allergic to a certain brand mascara. after a month of no eye makeup (that was tough because I was about 21), I started using Clinique. Now I actually can wear several brands but I try to stick with ones for sensitive eyes. Good luck to you.

Thanks KatCat. I recently got a Clinique GWP with a shadow quad and mascara and have no problems with them, just their cleansers unfortunately. They work so good!! Smiley Sad
Trusted Contributor

I never even knew Too Faced used that ingredient. I wonder if that is just some of the newer products. I will have to check my older palettes. Fortunately, I haven't experienced a problem with that ingredient. Sorry you are experiencing that because it is not fun. Smiley Sad

I actually had reactions to Clinique skincare and some of their eyeshadows years ago and they are suppose to be hypoallergenic. Hypoallergenic does not guarantee you won't have a reaction because it depends on what you are allergic to.

Very true - hypoallergenic is not any guarantee that you won't have a reaction to something in any product. I stated having problems with powder shadows about 10 years ago so have to really watch what I use. I have reacted to bismuth since trying MM with it in them. I have noticed bismuth in some of the oddest products lately - even skincare which I found surprising.

Valued Contributor

I was under the impression that "hypoallergenic" means about as much as "natural" when it come to labeling terms. Wink

The Clinque cleansers burned my eyelids quickly. I felt it immediately and they felt burned where with my eyeshadow problem they feel itchy, not nearly as bad. I am wearing Clinique powder foundation which has the bismuth *sigh* but I'm doing okay with it. I just don't apply it near the eyes.
Valued Contributor

On 6/20/2014 wackers said:

Very true - hypoallergenic is not any guarantee that you won't have a reaction to something in any product. I stated having problems with powder shadows about 10 years ago so have to really watch what I use. I have reacted to bismuth since trying MM with it in them. I have noticed bismuth in some of the oddest products lately - even skincare which I found surprising.

I'm surprised too it seems to be in everything. I'm also wondering if it is bothering me more since the heat and humidity have arrived. ??
Valued Contributor

HD bismuth is also in Mally's easy on the eyes 2 pallete. The one with the white cover. I haven't checked her other ones. I'm using her primer now. I don't love it but it's not giving me any problems. At least in her shadows it seems to be way down the ingredient list. I would wear and love your Too Faced shadows if they don't bother you. Smiley Happy Lucky!! I love Too Faced, I hear Primer Potion is just as good as Shadow Insurance and it doesn't have it.
Honored Contributor

I always got a kick out of "dermatologist tested." Okay, so some derm tested it. And??? Did it pass the test? Fail? What???? {#emotions_dlg.lol}

I know, I know. It's just semantics, but still.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Valued Contributor

I thought hypoallergenic meant it does not have irritating ingredients but from what I read on line bismuth is irritating to many people. It's like these little glass shards poking you. My clinique powder has it and it's supposed to be hypoallergenic. When I returned a Clinique face wash the lady seemed shocked, that it was impossible I had a reaction to it. She suggested it was something else but oh no! I felt it immediately. It was the clinique. I tried a different cleanser and had the same reaction. Both were really highly rated by PC (BEST.) I guess you never know.
Honored Contributor

On 6/20/2014 Cardamom said: I thought hypoallergenic meant it does not have irritating ingredients but from what I read on line bismuth is irritating to many people. It's like these little glass shards poking you. My clinique powder has it and it's supposed to be hypoallergenic. When I returned a Clinique face wash the lady seemed shocked, that it was impossible I had a reaction to it. She suggested it was something else but oh no! I felt it immediately. It was the clinique. I tried a different cleanser and had the same reaction. Both were really highly rated by PC (BEST.) I guess you never know.

Cardamom, I thought I had remembered looking up this ingredient in PC's Cosmetic Ingredient dictionary. Here is her analysis, which seems to make sense. Note that she gives it only an "average" rating but does seem to indicate that adverse effects usually occur when it's the main ingredient in powder products, but maybe some people, like you, are more sensitive to it:

<h1>bismuth oxychloride</h1>
Rating:
Average
Categories:
Thickeners/Emulsifiers , Absorbent
<h2>What is bismuth oxychloride</h2>

The standard primary ingredient included in most powders that are referred to as "mineral makeup." The claim for bismuth oxychloride (which is also known as synthetic pearl) is that it is all-natural and better for skin than talc. In fact, in many ways talc is a more natural, unadulterated, pure ingredient than bismuth oxychloride. Bismuth oxychloride, which seldom occurs in nature, is manufactured by combining bismuth, a by-product of lead and copper metal refining, with chloride (chlorine compound) and water. It's used in cosmetics because it has a distinct shimmery, pearlescent appearance and a fine white powder texture that adheres well to skin. Bismuth oxychloride is heavier than talc. Pure bismuth is a naturally occurring, grayish-white powder. It and its derivatives are used as skin protectives, thickeners, and absorbent agents. Bismuth oxychloride was permanently listed by the FDA as a coloring agent in 1977 and as a synthetic ingredient (Source: The International Cosmetic Ingredient Dictionary and Handbook, Eleventh Edition, 2006).

<h2>Is bismuth oxychloride irritating?</h2>

Some people react to bismuth oxychloride due to its unique crystalline structure. What happens is that the crystals can "poke" at skin and get stuck in the pores, where the sharper "spokes" can cause irritation. This is more of a problem when bismuth oxychloride is the main ingredient in powder makeup.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

There are two cleansers that I use: alba Botanica Hawaiian with coconut milk & Avalon Organics CoQ10 soap free. In your case, you would have to read all the ingredients but I personally have no reaction to either one. Under $10 & both last a long, long time. Check out iherb.com Take care.

kindness is strength