Honored Contributor

Re: Success with Vick's vapo run for toenail fungus?

A few years ago I had a big green spot (it turned darker) in the middle of my big toe.  My podiatrist said it was not fungus.  He said it would grow out but if I hated the look of it there numerous OTC remedies that might improve the look of it.  I tried them all and it did get lighter but it did not go away completely until the nail grew out. Toe nails grow at a much slower rate than fingernails.  My spot was in the middle of the nail but it still took over 6 months to grow out.

2 years later the same thing happened on the other big toe.  Again it was pretty much the same thing.

Valued Contributor

I had tangential fungus several years ago and it took six months to get rid of it. I used Vicks in addition to Fungi Cure and read the ingredients thymol (think that's it) was second to last on the list that is the ingredient in Vicks that is supposed to be the one that works. I'd use both a known product plus the Vicks to be sure. I also used mine after I washed my hands throughout the day instead of just morning and night because it's near impossible to get rid of. Doctors can give you a prescription drug to take interally but insurance labels it as cosmetic so it may not be covered, plus they require you to come back for lab tests, too, so it must be harsh on your system. Good luck!

Super Contributor

The only thing that works consistently for our patients is Fungoid Tincture. You can buy it at most drugstores or Amazon. It costs about $25.00. Any brand is good. It comes in a dark glass container. Our diabetic patients are prone to fungal nail infections. It is a clear liquid that you "paint" on. We advise our patients to use it twice a day - morning and evening. It will take several months for the fungus to completely clear. You will notice a nice clean flat nail growing out. Don't stop using it. Keep using at least until you are able to trim off fungal affected nail. This works on both toenails and fingernails.

Sunlight also helps.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Vicks did nothing for me.  Neither did the prescription medications you see on TV or any over the counter meds I tried.  

I finally got good results with apple cider vinegar.  I faithfully used it every day for several months and it really helped. My nails started growing clearer and I was able to cut off the affected parts much eaiser. I also used hydrogen peroxide a few times a week to keep my toenails looking whiter. 

I still use this regimen to keep any problems at bay.