Esteemed Contributor

We use the Suave shampoo.  Low cost, works fine.  I'm not looking for anything but a cleanser, though, as I have very short hair.

When I had very long hair, it mattered more.  What worked best for me then, was to shampoo just the scalp, not the ends.  Sometimes I would use a Paul Mitchell or Redken leave-in.

Cogito ergo sum
Respected Contributor

Re: Suave Haircare...

[ Edited ]

@sgraham30 Its a Salt Water Pool... We have one & it does not damage hair. Its a salt system like the ocean.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Kabella, I don't think it's a salt water "pool" although I may be wrong. Google history of Centennial Beach, Naperville, IL. Until 1913 it was a stone quarry, in 1932 it was developed as a swimming facility. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@sgraham30 That was an interesting read, ThankyouSmiley Happy  My pool has no chlorine but just  salt water..

Did you smell Chlorine in that pool that you swam in? if not than it was salt water... The smell of chlorine is strong & full of chemicals. When it rains alot, we have to add more salt as it gets deluded.

We have a outdoor shower & I just rinse & add a bit of conditoner. The pool water does not take the color out of my hair either.

Getting back to OP...no I don't use Suave but glad you like it.

Respected Contributor

I love the Suave Morrocan Infusion Shampoo and Conditioner and the Almond and Shea Butter ones.  I don't stick with one brand of Shampoo and conditioners for long, so I tried many brands, including high end ones. But I always come back to Suave.

Trusted Contributor

@Kabella, no, I didn't smell chlorine at all & I'd notice chlorine immediately because I get really bad headaches from it. Chlorine also dries out my hair & skin, which makes me itch. I didn't have any issues like that at Centennial.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I misunderstood you @sgraham30 Since Centennial has a new circulation system it has to have Chlorinated System also. That leads me to believe its a salt water pool. I have a Chlorinated system on the side of my house.

I previously thought you were talking about a neighborhood pool.

Must be so beautiful to go there. EnjoySmiley Happy

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Kabella, it's the park district "pool" for Naperville,IL. This is from the frequently asked questions area on their website:

How is Centennial Beach different from a pool?

Centennial Beach is an historic quarry that holds an amazing 6.2 million gallons of water that starts with zero depth and goes as deep as 15 feet. It is classified as a “beach” through the Illinois Department of Health and not as a swimming pool. The water itself is chlorinated, re-circulated and hand-skimmed to remove debris, but it is not filtered like a typical swimming pool. Additionally, the water is not heated, so the temperature increases over the course of the summer, provided that the air temperatures are adequately warm.

Why is the water less clear than a swimming pool?
Centennial Beach’s water is chlorinated, re-circulated and hand-skimmed to remove debris, but it is not filtered like a typical swimming pool.

Is the water quality tested?
Yes – our staff tests the water 2-3 times daily to monitor chlorine levels and pH balance. We typically follow swimming pool regulations with regard to water quality standards. On a weekly basis, our water is sampled and tested by an independent laboratory to ensure that the water quality is being maintained

I live a 30 minute drive from here. I've lived in this area most of my  life, I just found out about this "pool" a couple of years ago when  Meetup group that I belonged to at the time met there for the Adult Float that's 9 a.m.- 10:55 a.m. every Sat & Sun morning. No one under 18 is allowed in, adults & their pool floats have the entire pool to themselves. It's so peaceful & calming just laying on your pool float & letting the water current carry you around. 

Valued Contributor

I have thick heavy chin length hair which is very finicky if made too soft causing it to flop and just be hard to deal with and lately WEN is just too much for it so needed a change again. (I do keep going back to the WEN but think it just builds up).

While on vacation last week at the beach where my hair frizzed, curled up and was completely unruly I bought the Suave Professional Sea Minerals Shampoo and also the conditioner.

I just LOVE LOVE the smell and gives my hair great volume and does not weight it down. I wash my hair every other day so haven't used it all that long but for now it will replace the WEN and also Redken Color Protection shampoo and conditioner I was using.

If you read the Suave Professional labels, all the formulas are dupes of more expensive lines. Years ago I used the dupe for the Paul Mitchel Awahpu (sp?) which was also great but I don't see it any longer.

For the price, try a few formulas.