Respected Contributor

Styling cream & mousse, which goes on first?

Okay, being tired of the "helmet hair" created by hairspray, I got my first bottle of WEN mousse today, and will add it to the cleanse/rtm/styling cream regimen tonight. For you Wenners who use both, do you put the styling cream (heat protector) on first, then the mousse (holding product), or the other way around? I'll be letting the hair air dry overnight and using a curling iron the next morning, btw. THANKS!!!

Honored Contributor

Re: Styling cream & mousse, which goes on first?

I don't know that the order really matters all that much. You could probably experiment and see which way you prefer. I always mix the SC and VTS, put that in my hair, then apply the mousse. Remember to apply in a raking motion from the bottom up and not to flat palm anything from the top down.

Valued Contributor

Chaz says he uses his products from heaviest or thickest to thinnest. I use the styling creme (rake, twist, and push into the mid shaft through the ends) and then apply the mousse as the last step (6 pumps raked, twisted, and pushed into the mid shaft through the ends and then 6 pumps raked through the top of my head). My hair is quite long, so you might not need as many pumps of mousse. Of course you should do what works best for your hair. Smiley Happy
Respected Contributor

Thank you, JeanLouise and Nicole, I'll probably try both orders to see which works best. I know skin care products go light-to-heavy in order, so it seems odd to do it Chaz's way, but I'll try that first and see how it works, and if the results are not what I'm looking for, switch the order the next day. Thanks again!

Honored Contributor

I know, Chaz always says that "the styling cream has heat protectants", but so does almost everything else he makes for the hair. The mousse also has heat protectant ingredients, as do many styling products on the market. Even just the cleansing conditioner has heat protectants, so if you use that as a leave in, you have those plus what's in the mousse. The glossing serum has them, too.

Remember, Chaz wants us to look great, but he also wants our money. You need a heat protectant if you use heat. You don't need to use 4 different heat protectants at once.

Valued Contributor

On 6/11/2014 CamilleP said:

Thank you, JeanLouise and Nicole, I'll probably try both orders to see which works best. I know skin care products go light-to-heavy in order, so it seems odd to do it Chaz's way, but I'll try that first and see how it works, and if the results are not what I'm looking for, switch the order the next day. Thanks again!

It is funny you mention skin care, that is exactly how Chaz said to remember it! He said you always apply your skin care lightest to heaviest and for your hair do the exact opposite. Smiley Happy