Esteemed Contributor

Re: Store brand over regular brand products

I have 2 toilet paper roll metal holders that I keep next to both upstairs toilets and each holder can hold 4 of the big Kirkland TP rolls. The downstairs one can hold 2 of them plus the roll being used. I keep them stocked up. I also keep extra Kleenex hand paper towels (they come in individual boxes) in one bathroom and keep boxes of those in the cars too. They are great in that you do not have to put out hand towels to dry your hands after washing them. Just use the hand paper towels.

Costco Kirkland big drum liner garbage bags to line the Rubbermaid garbage cans are also a must. We keep those in the garage including the garbage can and only move those tied up bags to the big wheeled bin the night before garbage day. We live in a suburban area that has bears and raccoons so we have to keep trash in the garage so as to not attract nuisance animals. The 2 big wheeled bins (a grey bin that goes out every 2 weeks) and the green bin (for yard trimmings and green table scraps) goes out every week. Those bins are too large to keep in the garage. We can only wheel out those bins to the curb the morning of garbage day too or else we can get a fine from the city.

Respected Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

@depglass wrote:

My pet peeve is that narrow toilet paper.  Costco, here I come !  I've shopped there for years, but not for TP.  Who knew ?

It's good, but I just can't store 36 rolls of TP.  Funny story, one of my kids bought a Costco membership in order to get cheaper auto insurance and gasoline.  He decided to go shopping and ended up buying the toilet paper.  36 rolls for a single guy?  LOL

Good news! Costco TP now only has 30 rolls. And no, the price did not go down. It's really good and the only TP we buy (for a decade)

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

It is the same thing. Companies sell their projected surplus  to stores like Kroger, Walmart, CVS... etc and the store repackages it in their name. Its manufactured by the exact same company. I know this for I indirectly work  in the field  pertaining to ths subject. Same with drugs,  It is very rare for this not to be so. Only thing I can think of that is not the same is the shampoo dupe walmart has for OGX  shampoos. The shampoos has a marking on the package stating its manufactured seperately

Gwneric drugs are the same as name brand only difference in ths case is in the fillers ( such as dyes in the coloring) 

Honored Contributor

Years ago most of our canned food for example all came from the same factory, they only changed the labels.   So 1 product was the same as the other. Back then I was all about generic or store brands.   But now so much is made in China, I don't trust all products as much as I used to.    What's up with the Chinese putting antifreeze in everything??

As far as TP, I don't suppose it matters but for anything I put in my body, I'm choosy.  Even with toothpaste.  You can get good deals but some of it is foreign or even expired.

And there is sometimes a big chemical difference between generic drugs and brand name drugs.   It's all about how it's manufactured, just because it may have the same ingredients, doesn't mean it's the same.   

Esteemed Contributor

I tried the Rite Aid brand of face scrub that is supposed to be comparable to St. Ive's Medicated Apricot Scrub.  It didn't have enough scrubbing granules to do much of anything.

Boooo!!  Boo, Rite Aid!!  Booooo!!

Image result for yelling squirrel

"Heartburn Can Cause Cancer" -- www.ecan.org
Esteemed Contributor

No Costco for miles here so have never shopped there.... but, I rely on Kroger brands for almost everything.  Except for Puffs -- gotta have my Puffs-plus-lotion tissues!

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt