Honored Contributor

Re: Store brand over regular brand products

[ Edited ]

@rochelleS wrote:

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

@depglass wrote:

My pet peeve is that narrow toilet paper.  Costco, here I come !  I've shopped there for years, but not for TP.  Who knew ?

It's good, but I just can't store 36 rolls of TP.  Funny story, one of my kids bought a Costco membership in order to get cheaper auto insurance and gasoline.  He decided to go shopping and ended up buying the toilet paper.  36 rolls for a single guy?  LOL

I live alone @JeanLouiseFinch and buy those large Costco pkgs of TP on sale. The still oversized rolls are so much better than the skimped (? word) out sizes at the grocery.  I buy the carton of c-fold towels, aluminum foil, saran wrap and sometimes tissue.  These can last forever. But I don't have to run out to replace when it may be inconvenient. Fortunately, I have plenty of room to store. Kirkland garbage bags, from kitchen to yard are THE best priced anywhere and better yet when offered on coupon. If you know and watch pricing, there's some good deals. Of course one must be mindful of not getting caught up and over doing it. Which is too easy to do too. Their 10.00 pizza is to die for. Or try a 2.00 oversized slice when you're there. Now I'm hungry...

Oh yeah, @rochelleS, for sure.  I do some of the same, but not everything.  Maybe I need to rethink things and rearrange my storage.  

BTW, I should have mentioned that my son lives in an apartment.  At the time when he made his TP purchase, he was working full time and attending school full time.  In other words, barely home much to even use the bathroom.  LOL  

Honored Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

@depglass wrote:

My pet peeve is that narrow toilet paper.  Costco, here I come !  I've shopped there for years, but not for TP.  Who knew ?

It's good, but I just can't store 36 rolls of TP.  Funny story, one of my kids bought a Costco membership in order to get cheaper auto insurance and gasoline.  He decided to go shopping and ended up buying the toilet paper.  36 rolls for a single guy?  LOL

@JeanLouiseFinch

Go 1/2 sies with a buddy!

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

@Drythe wrote:

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

@depglass wrote:

@JeanLouiseFinch

Go 1/2 sies with a buddy!

Yes, that's an option. @Drythe   I normally keep all the TP in the linen closet and then just a few rolls in each bathroom.  If I put my mind to it, I could probably come up with a better method and store more in the bathrooms, less in the closet.

Honored Contributor

I always buy the store brand unless I have a coupon for something I want to try and the coupon makes it the same price or less than the store brand. I always buy Philly cream cheese for my bagels though.LOL

Esteemed Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch Gotcha!  BTW, I saw Micellar water 8oz marked down to 9.97, had a little travel size bonus in the pkg too. I know some of the ladies like and use it.

Honored Contributor

I'm a big fan of most store brands, but with some, I will make sure to compare the ingredients.

Oh, I am a die-hard Charmin Ultra Soft fan, if you really must know.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

I buy a case of 96 rolls of Boardwalk brand tp from jet dot com. It's two-ply and good stuff. Cost me around $34 per case. I store it in one room in my house that I converted into a mini-warehouse...lol!Woman LOL

Honored Contributor

@Big Joanie wrote:

My husband did business with some canning plants .. and it wasn't

until the store called for a shipment that they put the label on it ...

Same products ... different lables for different stores....

@Big Joanie  Almond milk is this way....the store brands Lucerne and Kroger store brand almond milk are exactly the same with just a different label. Huge savings over buying Almond breeze brand Almond milk.  Same goes for canned beans etc.

Honored Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

@depglass wrote:

@JeanLouiseFinch  So true! That much TP would last my husband Year😄. 

Honored Contributor

@sandraskates wrote:

I have always heard that "the cannerys are the cannerys" and can the same food with different labels.

Today I was in WalMart and was SHOCKED to see some slip-on shoes that were identical in material and memory foam to Sketchers. I have to think they are produced in the same factory with a different label.

However, they also had some knockoffs of Jambu / JBU but I could see that the materials and quality were not the same

Canneries do sell overruns to the secondary brands, as well as selling product in them that is miscut, has blimishes or is various sizes.  So, no, it isn't always the same.  Just depends on what you want.

Places like QVC and other retailers also do have appliances and electronics manufactured that are sometimes not exactly as the brand name version.  Perhaps different motors, acessories, or various parts make up the item.  So in some ways a Whirlpool washer and a Kenmore washer are probably different--may or may  not matter how.