Honored Contributor

Re: Storage ideas for large makeup collection?

@Sue98  My linen closet is located in my bathroom.  I purchased from Walmart a 3 heavy plastic 3 drawer unit 10x10x10 or something on that order.  Love it.  Sounds like you may need something larger.  I keep my foundation, powder, blush in top drawer, mascara, eye shadow and lipstick in middle drawer and brushes and misc. in bottom drawer.  I would take a look at Walmart or Target and you are bound to find something.

kindness is strength
Valued Contributor

They have these in Home Goods. I bought one and use it next to my computer to hold all the ****** I need. They come in two sizes. I have the 3-drawer by the computer (drawers are deeper, and I have one with 6 drawers which I use in my guest bedroom).

The one that ECBG posted is also in Home Goods. The drawers are very small and wouldn't hold jars or anything taller.

I love mine, have them for a few years and they get moved around a lot. Never broke. BTW, if you look at the top of the photo, that's where I keep my laptop. I have a separate monitor on my desk which is hooked to the laptop. Fits perfectly.

Esteemed Contributor

Older versions of Sterlite plastic drawer organizers were a lot better made. The newer versions are flimsy.

I would second looking at Ikea Alex drawers. Almost every beauty youtuber has Alex drawers to store their makeup.

Honored Contributor

Storage ides for large makeup collection?? In the garbage can! I only have a beautiful dressing table, with drawers, to keep my makeup. I have eliminated all that I don't use. And you know what? I don't miss them at all. All I own are in those drawers of my dressing table. Who needs bucket-fulls of makeup anyway?? BTW After a while makeup expires and become rancid....yuck.

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

I go a totally different route.  I have multiple Lug Trolley bags.  They are fantastic for makeup!  They hold so much, and everything is easily organized.  Also, very important to me, everything is portable!  I have a linen closet in my bathroom. I pull out the Lug Trolley that I need, and put it back once I'm done.  This way, my bathroom is clutter-free and my vanity stays beautiful.  One more benefit, I take weekend trips monthly to check in on my Mom.  I don't even have to think about it; grab that Trolly and pack it in my bag.

I use one for my day-to-day makeup -- makeup I pick & choose for "normal days."  It's the one I use 95% of the time.

Then I have a 2nd one for more dramatic makeup that I only wear for special occasions like parties or weddings, etc.  I also use this one for "back-up" makeup when the current item is ready to be tossed (extra unopened mascara or brow products, etc.).

My 3rd Lug Trolley is for my hair products.  Different combs, brushes, Joan Rivers Great Hair Day product(!), and my daily use of styling products.

I don't use facial serums or elixirs ever.  My moisturizer and sunscreen is in my mirror cabinet.   

No, I don't work for Lug!  Smiley Very Happy But that thing has been one of the best purchases I've made anywhere.

Respected Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

Check out Ikea's Alex drawers. There are other companies who make similar ones. But Ikea makes a quality product. Ikea also makes dividers that fit inside the drawers.

I have 3 Alex drawers and love them.  They come in new colors too so you don't have to just have white.  

Respected Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

Amazon.  I just looked up "makeup storage".  Seville Classics.  

Seville Classics Large 10-Drawer Organizer Cart, White

I found a small wooden drawer 7 set out of a catalog years ago.  I still use it and it's rubbed in blue which is perfect.

shallow bins.  Not a good idea for a big collection of makeup.

Honored Contributor

@ID2 wrote:

Storage ides for large makeup collection?? In the garbage can! I only have a beautiful dressing table, with drawers, to keep my makeup. I have eliminated all that I don't use. And you know what? I don't miss them at all. All I own are in those drawers of my dressing table. Who needs bucket-fulls of makeup anyway?? BTW After a while makeup expires and become rancid....yuck.

@ID2   While I don't have a dressing table (I used to many years ago), I agree about not having tons of makeup that's not being used.  It's impossible to use everything if you have a very large collection and it's not like jewelry that can sit forever once you get around to using it, it can go bad.  Now while I still have quite a bit, I only really have what I actually use most of the time & some back ups.

Honored Contributor

@Sue98   I tried to post a photo, but it was too large. For professional use I have the IKEA Alex drawers...different sizes available, on wheels or can be added. If you watch any YouTube mua, that’s their storage of choice. Fortunately, my bathroom has a vanity with 7’ of storage, drawers on both sides of seat area and cabinets above (hey, we built the house...had to have makeup storage). What I’m currently using is in there, larger items like shower gels, bath salts, large Kiehl’s lotions backups are in linen closet outside bathroom door. 

My DD uses a shoe/jewelry organizer with plastic pouches that hang on back of bathroom door for “extras” not used every day. 

***Organization is key. Even if you have rolling cart w/ drawers, they need to be divided by lucite boxes to keep blushes, eye pencils, shadows separate. Drawers should be labeled so you don’t have to open each to look for what you need. I’d still keep your every day, reach for makeup on vanity, the rest in whatever storage kit you find. 

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee   So sorry. Did not see your post. I added castors to a few of mine.