Respected Contributor

Re: Still on the fence on buying self tanner! Help!

Another vote for the Jergens but I use the foam version. No smell, streaking or orange color and very affordable. Easy to use (like shaving cream) even on my face. The best I've found and I have tried them ALL!

Respected Contributor

@BabyYoda wrote:

@Iwantcoffee wrote:

Just say no to self-tanners. Your natural color is beautiful. One color is not more or less beautiful than another.

@Iwantcoffee I so agree! I used to be obsesses in my 20's with going to tanning beds and to the beach. I stopped going in the sun at 30 but used self tanners for years and years and for many years now I embrace that I am as pale as a ghost and stopped using self tanners.

I only use self tanner on my 66 year old legs out of necessity so I don't go really dark. 

Valued Contributor

After trying many brands in all prices ranges, I've settled on St. Tropez.  None of them are perfect, in my opinion, but this one comes closest to my real color and has very little odor. YMMV and all that.

"Behold! We are not bound forever to the circles of the world, and beyond them is more than memory." J.R.R. Tolkien
Esteemed Contributor

@sharlee wrote:

After trying many brands in all prices ranges, I've settled on St. Tropez.  None of them are perfect, in my opinion, but this one comes closest to my real color and has very little odor. YMMV and all that.

Yes, me too.  I used BE for quite a few years until ST. Tropes came around.  Definitely wasn't impressed with VIta Liberte.  I did get some tan towels for now, they're pretty decent .

Honored Contributor

Another pale person embracing my natural skin tone. I have tried lots of self tanners, and they looked so fake on me. Everyone knows I am pale and avoid the sun so who I am kidding anyway? Then the last few years I used Sally Hansen leg makeup or a wash off bronzer just on my legs. Even those were difficult to apply just right. Last year was the first year I really tried not to use anything at all. The first few times it was a bit intimidating because some people stared and some even said mean things. I just ignore it now. Very freeing not to feel like I have to adhere to someone else's idea of beauty. So watch out... My white legs and the rest of me may be coming your way. 

I have used lots of self tanners. I have use pricey ones and cheap ones. I agree on the Jergens Healthy Glow. It is nice. I just don't care for the smell but I still buy it especially in the Winter months. The Josie tanning OIL IMO is horrible. I bought it and it's almost gone and not to mention it doesn't go on well IMO. However I bought Bare Minerals taning lotion (came with a brush) and I absolutely LOVE it. I highly recommend it. Good luck.

Trusted Contributor

I thinks it's time we all start to realize that tanned skin, either by the sun or self-tanner, is not the look of health and vitality we have been made to think it is.  Maintaining a tanned look with a self-tanner is a pain and requires daily maintenane to  look natural and non-streaky on a daily basis.  I was into that "whole thing" back in the late 90s  and early 2000s and finally had ENOUGH!  

The other thing that requires careful maintenance is the palms of the hands and fingernails.  One has to be vigilant and cleansing them immediately after application of the self-tanner. (hard to do without washing the just applied tanner to the tops of the hands)

If those areas are not cleansed the tanner will settle into the cuticles and under the nails and will be a huge chore to remove.  There used to be a host on QVC, named Lisa (can't think of her last name) who did all of the fashion shows.  Everytime the camera went to her hands, they looked a filthy dirty mess from all of the self tanner that was gunked up in and around her nails.  She was a pretty woman an always look so well put together until I saw those hands.

If you are wearing  a dress or capris and you just want a sheer wash of color on your legs, Sally Hansen makes a product I've used for years called  something like air brushed legs or something close to that.  I have very pale skin with my legs being the palest.  I use  that in the summer, it goes on easily, justs lends a sheer, sheer bit of color and washes off in the shower.  It can be used daily and it is inexpensive so it doesn't cost a fortune to use it often.

Lastly, don't feel like you have to hide your fair skin.  It is your's naturally, the way it was intended to be.  It's beautiful!

Contributor

Two suggestions from someone who hates the smell and/or turning orange - I have found Kate Somerville tan towels and the Tarte Brazillance give me a nice color, not a strange smell and seem to last longer than others.  I know everyone reacts differently but these two are my preference.

Honored Contributor

The ingredeints in the Jergen's Glow lotions are terrible, full of pertoleum, mineral oil, parabens and DMDM Hydantoin, which is listed as a toxic ingredient on some cosmetic sites. I am going ot give the new Skinn Endless Lotion a try, full of good ingredients

Esteemed Contributor

I use Jergens Healthy Glow because it gives a little bit of color without turning orange or too dark, plus it's not expensive and I can buy it at my local drugstore. I know some people swear by the more expensive brands, and that's fine for them. I've found that I can find good alternatives that are much less expensive at the drugstore with brand names that I've used for years.