Frequent Contributor

Still on the fence on buying self tanner! Help!

Ok I have never self tanned, got to watching Josie maran showing her new selftanning body butter and pre ordered it but  I am just not sure about it,don't really have the money for it that's another reason I put it on easy pay,Can anyone help me with this????

Honored Contributor

Re: Still on the fence on buying self tanner! Help!

[ Edited ]

I can only speak of my own experience.  I've tried the Josie Maran Self Tanning Oil and the Vita Liberata Self Tanning Mousse.  I sent both of them back.  I was going to try the JM Self Tanning Butter, but the other night I watched her applying and reapplying and she was just getting darker and shinier as the spot went on.  I told myself no, I'd probably end up returing that too and being out more shipping.  I read several posts by women who have successfully self tanned with plain ol' Jergen's Natural Glow.  I tried that a couple of years ago and didn't get have good results due to the fact that I was overly agressive with it.  I'm going to try it again, properly exfoliating first and not applying too much product over too short a time frame.  If I could just get a little color on my arms, legs and decolette I'd be happy.....and happier if it only cost me $10 to achieve it. 

Esteemed Contributor

The only self tanner that I really like and have had great success with is Josie Marens (not the butter; the original one). It went on smoothly without streaking and the color was perfect. It was perfect on my fac, too. Everybody is different, I suppose......but after trying many brands, I've found Josie Marens to work the best for me.

Honored Contributor

I don't know how well the JM  product will work, but I have tried many self tanners and I didn't like any of them. My only concern with this body butter with the color in it, is that the color will transfer onto my clothes.

Trusted Contributor

If you don't really have the money, cancel your order.  People have had good luck with much cheaper brands and you might as well try one of those if you must self tan.  

Valued Contributor

From someone who's tried many self-tanners: I've had pretty good luck with several different brands as far as the color goes. On the low cost end, Jergens isn't bad! On the higher end, I like Bare Minerals or St. Tropez. There are probably others that work as far as the color goes, but the smell is also a key factor. It MUST have a pleasant smell for me, because I always use it before I go to bed. I couldn't sleep with a funky smell on my skin. If you're a self-tanning newbie: Use either a mitt or brush preferably. If you use your hands, wash your palms immediately or else you'll look like an Oompa Loompa. Happy tanning!

Frequent Contributor

I've tried Tan Towels, Vita Liberata (sp?), and Tarte Brazilliance. I like the Vita Liberata the best, second would be the Tarte and third would be the tan towels. I have fair skin and use the Vita Liberata in medium and dark shade. I always exfoliate first with the Body shop cocoa butter scrub and then apply the Vita Liberata with the enclosed mitt that comes with it. You can use non latex gloves which work well for the Tarte. The tan towels are just ok. The color isn't as good. I apply two coats of the Vita Liberata one day apart and it stays on well. That's my opinion and I'm happy with my last TSV purchase of the Vita.

Esteemed Contributor

Old containers of self tanners that have oxidized end up stinking when you apply them to your body. That's why it's best not to stock up on them no matter what the application is or how it's packaged.

The only self tanners that I thought didn't smell bad were Tan Towels as they are sealed in foil wrapped packaging and you only open one at a time so the towelette is only exposed to air when you open the package.

Valued Contributor

I really like Kate Somerville tanning towels the best - nice color, no rub off on clothes or furniture. I also don't see this wash off in the shower.

Tan Towels are 2nd choice - nice color, minimal rub off.

Vita Liberata- best color( dark tone choice), worst for color transfer to clothes, can see it wash off in the shower.

I haven't tried Josie's.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I found that my palms tanned even though I washed my hands, so I do better with a $6.00 box of gloves from Walmart each year.

If you haven't tanned before, I would really suggest using Jergen's Glow, which is a lotion that has a little tanner.  I found that two days applications were enough and I didn't apply for four more.

Don't forget regular lotion on all rough spots first so you don't end up with really dark areas!

Be sure you put it on rubbing in circles and not in straight lines which makews streaks!

That's hands and knuckles, elbows, knees, ankles, between and on toes, and heels.  Those places grab color because of the roughness and it's not easy to go "backwards".

My junior and senior students couldn't tell what I had done, and they were tough critics!