Respected Contributor

Re: State legislatures are outlawing the use of microbeads in cosmetics, toothpaste, etc.

I do not buy anything anymore that has the plastic microbeads since learning of this issue. I am glad there is movement to get rid of them!

Honored Contributor

Re: State legislatures are outlawing the use of microbeads in cosmetics, toothpaste, etc.

Someone had posted here about Crest Whitening toothpastes containing these beads, and that her hygienist had said they get embedded in the gums and they have very hard time removing them.

Honored Contributor

It was on the local news last week. I think it's a good thing.
Valued Contributor

I'm thrilled that the governor of Colorado, where I live, just signed into law the ban of all products made with microbeads. News reports have stated that the harmful plastics are in many shampoos, eye liners, toothpastes, body washes, lip glosses, deodorants, etc. New York and Illinois already have the bans and many other states are considering it (and most likely will ban those products also). Interestingly, Johnson and Johnson supports the ban entirely and is urging other cosmetics/health companies to do the same.

Regular Contributor

I was very disappointed that Virginia would not consider it this legislative session.

Honored Contributor

Hadn't heard this, but it does make sense. Wonder what, if anything, we'll get instead. I've been using an Olay product with beads after running out of Philosophy's MDW which I've used for years. They Olay really has almost no exfoliating power and I won't buy it again.

BTW- the legislatures need to work on all those cloths that are fouling up sanitary systems all over the country. Yikes, they are really making an environmental mess.

I did hear an interview with a company executive who said one of the problems is that we consumers flush even the cloths that are not marked flushable and those don't break down at all - they're like the plastic microbeads.

Do the environment a favor and don't flush if they're not marked flushable; they may look the same but they're not. Who knew?

Super Contributor

Wow, had no idea. Wonder why this is a State and not a federal legislate. Looks like I'm going to have to clean out my cabinet. Feel just awful about the environmental impact. Thanks OP, for bringing this to light here.

Honored Contributor

On 3/27/2015 Amazinggrace2 said:

Wow, had no idea. Wonder why this is a State and not a federal legislate. Looks like I'm going to have to clean out my cabinet. Feel just awful about the environmental impact. Thanks OP, for bringing this to light here.

Because any bill proposed in Washington that might have an impact on corporations will never get the required votes. One political party tends to view such legislation with disdain. So you will probably see it legislated only in "certain" states.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Super Contributor

On 3/27/2015 suzyQ3 said:
On 3/27/2015 Amazinggrace2 said:

Because any bill proposed in Washington that might have an impact on corporations will never get the required votes. One political party tends to view such legislation with disdain. So you will probably see it legislated only in "certain" states.

Got it. Thanks!

Honored Contributor

I avoid the polyethylene bead products. There are products that have similar function without the polyethylene. Mary Kay makes an exfoliating cleanser that doesn't have them. I'm not that much of an exfoliator anyway. I think it is sometimes overdone. Currently use a brush on my face in the shower and that's pretty much it. I also have some rice enzyme powder I also use on occasion. That's it for exfoliation for me.