Frequent Contributor

Starting a Beauty Blog - Any Advice?

I am so inspired by all of the amazing ladies who have started blogging about beauty products that I want to get in on the fun! Any advice for a total newbie? Thanks in advance for your thoughts!
Frequent Contributor

Re: Starting a Beauty Blog - Any Advice?

Please share with us your blog info so we can look you up. Good luck
Respected Contributor

For a blog design, more simple and sleek is better. Don't make it too fussy or frou frou. Smiley Happy JMO.
Super Contributor

Good for you! I've been thinking of that, too, but I have NO idea where to start....go for it and let us know how to find you!!

Good luck!!

Super Contributor

Do not except free items from companies and do reviews on them, in my opinion it would be hard to give an honest opinion. If you end up on YouTube please please pleas have good lightening so the products you show or put on can actually be seen. Good luck.
Honored Contributor

Advice: Don't post your blog info on these boards. Advertising is prohibited. YouTube/blogs are ""click for profit"" hits is considered advertising & you'll be blocked. FYI.

Super Contributor

Take the best pictures you can of any products. Consumers want to see the true color and texture of items. Watch your backgrounds too. There's one blogger that does nice reviews but often shoots pics in front of what looks like her closet.

Super Contributor

Do lots of true befor and afters. Give your honest opinions about products. Set up a free chat place where people can communicate. Don't grow broke trying to buy and review products. Email companies and tell them you are an up starting new presence on the net and that you'd like to invite their participation by sending some samples that represents their company.
Valued Contributor

I hate to be a Debbie Downer, but you will inevitably get a Troll who replies to your blog. Don't let it get you down. Ignore the Troll and don't give it the satisfaction of a reply. P.S. People who happen to disagree with you are not Trolls. Trolls can be spotted by their disrespect and emotional carryings on, usually in all caps. Good luck to you!

Honored Contributor

CLEAR pictures in GOOD light.

Talk about all aspects of the product- consistency, scent (if applicable), color, pigmentation, and include the ingredients, as many like to see those as well but hardly anyone actually posts them. And don't rate something like skincare or haircare so highly if you've only used it a few times! Sure you can say your initial impressions but state them as your initial impressions. Beauty bloggers try a million different things so they really cannot give long-term opinions (and shouldn't imply as such) unless it is something they truly use on a day to day basis.

If you do videos, again, clear focus, good lighting and if you do swatches, make sure they are in focus and not too close to the camera and hold them still for a few seconds so we can actually see them. And don't go off on tangents! Make sure you have everything you need to do the review in front of you so you aren't spending half the time looking for items.

Concise, clear presentations!