Respected Contributor

Re: Starting a Beauty Blog - Any Advice?

I blog my sub boxes and also some beauty hauls.. I am still learning and don't worry if your pictures are not perfect initially - mine aren't, that is for sure. I am the world's worst swatch taker - that is an art form.

If you have a lot of items that you want to share, try to review some of the items, talk about the colors, texture, scents. Be honest about what you are reviewing. If you don't like it, state so. If you like it, state why you like it.

Also, some bloggers put in a style - there is one that I do love to read, but she loves to swear in her blogs (lol) and there is another that loves EVERYTHING and *giggles* all the time. I love her pictures, however, so I put up with the *giggles* *blushes* and all of that Smiley Happy If you have a style of writing, don't be afraid to use it! It might take you a while to start imparting that style, if you aren't used to blogging.

You can moderate your comments, if you are worried about trolls. There are many free blogs out there, I use wordpress

Some women who blog do not work outside of the home, so it is easier for them to keep up a great blog. I work outside of the home, so it is just a hobby for me. It also helps me remember what products I got in a sub in the past, so if I want to purchase it, I have written about it.

If you do received freebies, make sure you mention that in your review and do an honest review on them. Just because they are free doesn't mean you should give the company a "free" pass.

most important thing of all - have fun!! Don't do it if it becomes a chore. Set aside some time weekly to work on your blog, but don't feel pressured to write something if you do not have time or anything to say!

If you can't fix what's broken, you'll go insane ~ Max
Look, I don’t like the taste of broccoli, but it doesn’t get tastier if you call it “Broccoli!”!
You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling. ~ Eames
Super Contributor

If you do videos, get to the point quickly. Don't make them too long.

Be sure photos or videos are not too light...

In videos, write the names of products, and in blog and videos tell where products are available and the price.

In videos, don't screech. {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Good luck.

Super Contributor

On 3/22/2014 sidsmom said:

Advice: Don't post your blog info on these boards. Advertising is prohibited. YouTube/blogs are "click for profit" hits is considered advertising & you'll be blocked. FYI.

I have a YouTube channel and this is not true. You have to sign up to be monetized and be accepted by Google AdSence and then open an Adsence account. I have no idea what that involves. Even when you see a channel or blog with ads, it does not mean the person is receiving money. For instance, I'm a simple YT type person and use YT's editing software since it is simple and free for me to use. However, by using YT software for free, I have to agree to allow ads before my video starts or over to the side. I get zero dollars for that, YT makes the money. The same concept is true of blogs. If you agree to use a free blogging site or software, then you also agree to allow ads.

I don't know if Q will block you. I do know they have not blocked me and I have mentioned my YT channel several times.

Beauty blogger and YTer who loves it all! Cheers, Lulu Bea aka Lulu On Beauty - Let's be FACEBOOK beauty friends!
Super Contributor

Just DON'T. There are a million of them already for gosh sakes!
Frequent Contributor

On 3/22/2014 flowercita said: Please share with us your blog info so we can look you up. Good luck

Another request! :-) And, the suggestions from the ladies are very good! Good Luck!

Respected Contributor

On 3/23/2014 gazelle77 said: Just DON'T. There are a million of them already for gosh sakes!

I disagree. There is only one Kate BFF, with her coloring, with her taste and her opinions.

The more blogs out there, with pictures and descriptions, along with the blogger's self description of their skin (color, texture, even age) , just might help someone else who is similar.

If you can't fix what's broken, you'll go insane ~ Max
Look, I don’t like the taste of broccoli, but it doesn’t get tastier if you call it “Broccoli!”!
You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling. ~ Eames
Super Contributor

I agree! Don't listen to the naysayers! Take advise to help you improve and try to answer your requests, but never listen to the negatives! And, you won't get any payment for quite awhile. Also, accepting free products is ok, but not paid reviews. There is a difference. There are some agencies that may ask to help you, but will take a portion of profits (after they come in) and probably are not good for those with low viewership. Nikkip on YouTube has a recent video on how to navigate so,e of theses things. I do believe she works w an agency and has many paid partnerships.
On 3/24/2014 biancardi said:
On 3/23/2014 gazelle77 said: Just DON'T. There are a million of them already for gosh sakes!

I disagree. There is only one Kate BFF, with her coloring, with her taste and her opinions.

The more blogs out there, with pictures and descriptions, along with the blogger's self description of their skin (color, texture, even age) , just might help someone else who is similar.

Trusted Contributor

All I know is that some of the YouTube fashion and beauty blogs are among the funniest things on the internet. Amateur ladies, often with dismally overdone makeup or hopelessly tacky outfits putting on broadcast airs in front of a computer-mounted camera in their not-so-ready-for-primetime bedrooms or bathrooms. Marvelously entertaining. I'd say about 90% of these videos start out with the same "Hello, Beauties!" greeting and go hilariously and hopelessly downhill from there. If SNL hasn't spoofed these blogs, they're missing great comedy material.

{#emotions_dlg.laugh}