Esteemed Contributor

Re: Stalking a Salon for new Hairdresser

Those of us who have had bad haircuts sympathize with you! I've had 2 really great haircuts over the course of many years!

What I'm contemplating is going to a new (for me) salon, but the price for a cut (imo) is outrageous!

But I'm really considering it because my DD just had a super great cut, and I remember I had complimented someone else on her really great cut, and she said it was from there.

So, is it a matter of price? Or, a matter of skill with who's behind those scizzors?

Honored Contributor

I find Yelp reviews helpful.  I have curly hair and it helps to find someone who has reviews that state the person is good with curly hair.

It also helps to have a photo of the person on their website.  My stylist also has curly hair, so she knows the ins and outs of it.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Trusted Contributor

It's so hard to find a good stylist!  I usually do my own nails, but I've made manicure appts before at a new salon. That way I could watch stylists and see what their clients looked like as I got my nails done.  I've done this a couple times Smiley Happy   Otherwise, if you ask for advice on a stylist, they're going to give the one with the most appts available.

Honored Contributor

I look at the reviews of salons in my area to see how others rate them.  It has not failed me yet!!  Good Luck  Smiley Happy

Faith is the strength by which a shattered world shall emerge into the light. —Helen Keller
Honored Contributor

I never see a problem getting a shorter haircut. And "yes" hair does grow. I wear mine in a short pixie, spikey on top with highlights. So I get my hair cut super short all the time. I've never had a problem with haircuts. I like looking different and updating my look. I couldn't stand looking the same day after day. Yuck.

"Pure Michigan"
Frequent Contributor

I hope you didn't go in asking for Pelosi hair! That could have been your first mistake! Never talk politics with your stylist!  LOL! Woman LOL

Respected Contributor

Bring in a ruler and ask them if they can read it and do fractions. If they can't do it. RUN😁
Honored Contributor

@granddi wrote:

I'm thinking about going into a salon and just setting in the waiting area and watching the hairdressers. When I see a stylist that doing styles that I like, I think I'll just ask his/her name and ask for appointment.

I moved to a new community about 18 months ago and just cannot get a good haircut. This time I went to a stylist recommended by a lady I met at the gym. I wear a long bob. I went in looking like Nancy Pelosi and came out looking like Eliz Warren!

I asked for a trim only. I took time to explain my likes and dislikes in haircuts and said "my hair cut is not bad now. I just want 1/2 inch trim." When she finished, I said "this is the shortest my hair has been since 4ht grade!" She said "hair grows out."

Why is this so hard? I've tried the 20 something, & the 50 yo with 30 years experience. It's just salon roulette for me. 

I had gone to Tony and Guy with great results. So when I moved I went to the location here and had a horrible cut. Now I understand that some salons are company owned and others are franchise. Company owned salons usually require more training and training with T&G specifically. 

Just frustrated. 

@granddi  I found out the hard way that a trim to one stylist is a haircut to another. Always take photos from magazines or Pinterest and before any scissors are raised, make sure you both understand her intentions...an inch to her may be an 1/2 inch to you. 

Honored Contributor

@Katcat1 wrote:

@granddi  I know what you mean.  I had that thought to myself more than once.  Try an Aveda salon.  Normally, they are very good.  Either go to Aveda online or just Google Aveda Salons.

@Katcat1  I agree. Even if the stylist needs a few tries to learn your hair, likes and dislikes, the fragrance of the products entice me.

Honored Contributor

@granddi wrote:

Thanks for listing to me rant................

@granddi  Any time. I love rants....I usually have the same complaints.