Respected Contributor

Stalking a Salon for new Hairdresser

I'm thinking about going into a salon and just setting in the waiting area and watching the hairdressers. When I see a stylist that doing styles that I like, I think I'll just ask his/her name and ask for appointment.

I moved to a new community about 18 months ago and just cannot get a good haircut. This time I went to a stylist recommended by a lady I met at the gym. I wear a long bob. I went in looking like Nancy Pelosi and came out looking like Eliz Warren!

I asked for a trim only. I took time to explain my likes and dislikes in haircuts and said "my hair cut is not bad now. I just want 1/2 inch trim." When she finished, I said "this is the shortest my hair has been since 4ht grade!" She said "hair grows out."

Why is this so hard? I've tried the 20 something, & the 50 yo with 30 years experience. It's just salon roulette for me. 

I had gone to Tony and Guy with great results. So when I moved I went to the location here and had a horrible cut. Now I understand that some salons are company owned and others are franchise. Company owned salons usually require more training and training with T&G specifically. 

Just frustrated. 

Respected Contributor

Re: Stalking a Salon for new Hairdresser

[ Edited ]

Did the gym lady have a haircut you liked?

You could also ask anyone who has a cut you like for a recommendation.  I have stopped people I did not know and they were always flatttered when I complimented their hair style.

ETA: When my hair was longer, I would pinch my thumb and index finger together to show how much I wanted trimmed. This worked better than saying inches.

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

Find a picture on Pinterest that is very much like how you want your hair cut and styled. Take it to the stylist and emphasize how much you like that cut. Good luck.

Trusted Contributor

Do you get your hair cut after it's washed? If yes you might want to find someone that doesn't mind doing it dry depending on your hairstyle. I asked my hairdresser if she had a preference which she didn't so I decided to try it dry once. Totally fixed the problem of too short. Easier to show how much you want off too.

I might have just gotten lucky and found a good stylist. I can normally go about 7 weeks before it gets messy looking and that never used to be the case.

Esteemed Contributor

OMG - I wouldn't want to look like Warren in worst case!  That line gave me a laugh - good sense of humor you have.  Warren has a bowl cut or Little Lord ......?  (Know the word but not the spelling)  Keep shopping and best of luck.....been there.

Esteemed Contributor

I know how you feel.  Believe me, I do. I went to the same stylist for 10 years. Never had to say anything to her. She always gave me the perfect cut and color every time.  Then I moved 600 miles away.  😢😢😢😢😢

No one around here can compare.  One of these days I'm going to book an appointment and go back to my original stylist. I told DH it's going to be my future birthday present or Christmas present.  😊

In the meantime, I've done some asking around.  There was a Tony and Guy nearby that I liked but it closed.  Around here I've noticed some salons post photos to Facebook.  That helped me locate the stylist I've been seeing.  She posted photos of clients and I liked their cut and color, so I decided to try.  Still not exactly what I want but close.  Good luck to you @granddi 🍀 I understand how frustrating this can be, but keep looking.  

Honored Contributor

@granddi  I know what you mean.  I had that thought to myself more than once.  Try an Aveda salon.  Normally, they are very good.  Either go to Aveda online or just Google Aveda Salons.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

Your experience is not unusual.

I find when I go to a new salon, they always give me the least experienced first.

I feel like I'm training them, have to tell them everything.   Over & over.

I've gotten to where I'm just not picky anymore.

Not worth the stress.

I have fairly straight hair with some body, chin length.

After a cut, before I leave, I always comb and brush it myself to be sure there are no stray or uneven ends.    Otherwise I take what I get.

You will find someone, but it won't be a fun journey.

Respected Contributor

Thanks for listing to me rant................

Respected Contributor

If you interested in a certain salon ask for a hairdresser that is the busiest. A hairdresser told me that  meaning that they are a good hairdresser. If you ask for anyone they will give you someone that doesn't have a lot of customers. I go to a hairdresser that I have to wait weeks for and I don't mind  because he is really good.Plus, google that salon and the hairdressers  that work there and see what people are saying about that salon and the stylists.