Super Contributor

Hi ladies - I recently started growing my short, layered hair into a stacked bob. LOVE it but the thing that's making me crazy is the 'flat head' on top of my head! I am having a hard time trying to get used to not seeing any volume up there and was wondering if anyone has any good tips? THANKS!

Respected Contributor

Re: Stacked Bob Hair Advice?

Do you know how to tease ""back comb"" ? This will lift your crown.

Valued Contributor

Orange, it's funny you should mention this. I have worn a bob for quite a while because it's easy to do and always look nice. My daughter cuts my hair and we just had this conversation Sunday after she trimmed and styled. She did it flat and knows I like a little lift in the back.

She says it messes up the stacked look in the back but I still do the back comb and a little spray in the crown. I think it looks better and the back still looks great to me!

Honored Contributor

Can you post a pic of a stacked Bob? I haven't heard that term

Valued Contributor

pic too large

Frequent Contributor

I've had the same issue. I told my stylist what bothered me about the flat top and he now cuts my hair with layers that are easy to back comb as well as puts light layers on the sides keeping the bottom in the angled bob look. The light layers on the sides help when you pull from that area to back comb from the top. I HAVE to have lift also and with the right layers in your bob it can look just great.

Honored Contributor

is this a stacked bob

Valued Contributor

On 2/25/2015 letsgoplaces said:

I've had the same issue. I told my stylist what bothered me about the flat top and he now cuts my hair with layers that are easy to back comb as well as puts light layers on the sides keeping the bottom in the angled bob look. The light layers on the sides help when you pull from that area to back comb from the top. I HAVE to have lift also and with the right layers in your bob it can look just great.

The layering on the sides is what my daughter did for mine as well.

Shoekitty yes the one on the right is more how mine is styled. The angle is more blended from back to the front. I have fine hair but a lot of it so I can wear this style.

Honored Contributor

Wow this is the same issue I'm having. I've worn my hair extremely short but spikey on top for the past 25 years! But I was in need of a change. So I grew it out last Winter into a stacked inverted bob. That was my main concern is having my hair flat on top. I wear mine style with choppy bangs, no part, and my hair at the top is poofy. I don't rat it. I just smoothy my hair with a curling iron and the top seems to poof up on its own. It's not as high as I used to wear it but at least I have some volume.

"Pure Michigan"
Super Contributor

Hi ladies - thanks for all the GREAT replies! I will try the backcombing technique but the issue I have is when I am blow drying too. I also have a flat iron that I can probably try as well. Sometimes it's so HARD to try something new but I thought I'd better get with the times a bit. I do miss my short spiky hair because it really showed off my earrings so nicely! LOL!