Respected Contributor

Re: Sponges, Brushes, Fingers or something else?

@Ainhisg I love the Techniques MIracle Powder Sponge. Amazon has a set of 2, right now, for $4.59.

I use the Fenty powder foundation & the Techniques sponge gives me the perfect coverage & finish.

Respected Contributor

@gertrudecloset You use what works for you. I feel fancy when I use my brushes & I do try different brushes for foundation from time to time, but my liquid foundation looks the best applied with my fingers.

I can get the best finish with the coverage in the areas that I need without any streaks or cakiness. 

It's fast. My hands are easy to wash. 

Trusted Contributor

I always use a brush for foundation as I need a fuller coverage.  My current favorite Is the Make Up Forever Buffing Foundation Brush.  I have tried many over the years and this is the best one I've tried. I prefer a brush with shorter dense bristles.  This one is great too because it doesn't soak up a lot of foundation like some brushes.  It also never leaves brush marks.

After I've done putting all my makeup on,I usually take a damp beauty sponge and gently press it against my face.  This seems to help meld everything together.

Honored Contributor

I don't own any brushes.

I use a sponge for my cream foundation. I also use a sponge for my creamy stick blush and stick creamy highlighter. 

All the skin care stuff- moisturizer, eye cream, serum, I use my fingers. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

@gertrudecloset 

It depends on the foundation and the amt of coverage I want.  I don't use my fingers with any foundation tho.  I use a Beauty Blender, a velvety sponge for powder foundation, and a couple of brushes.  One brush is more dense with short bristles and one has longer bristles.

Honored Contributor

@Franklinbell 

My foundation has little balls that need to be broken

Are you using the Rose Inc foundation?

Honored Contributor

I  use my fingers for most everything, skin care mostly--- but I have some fantastic, huge, fat,  brushes I got with my makeup that are just the best for applying any foundation type stuff!! So much better coverage than these old fingers can do. The beauty blender sponge is another thing I use,  especially for tapping in concealor around the inner corners of my eyes---that I use damp. I bought it at TJMaxx and spent under $4 for --

Respected Contributor

@Dusty1 wrote:

@Ainhisg I love the Techniques MIracle Powder Sponge. Amazon has a set of 2, right now, for $4.59.

I use the Fenty powder foundation & the Techniques sponge gives me the perfect coverage & finish.

Yes! That's the set I bought and for that price!  😀

Honored Contributor

Foundation application depends on the product.  I use either a brush or a sponge.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I don't use foundation anymore, but I use my fingers for my primer and tinted moisturizer. I use brushes for shine reducing powder and blush.

Back in the day I tried a package of those white triangle sponges for foundation, but I never really liked them or thought they made a difference so I went back to my fingers. 

Confession: I have a set of fancy makeup sponges in various shapes that I bought & haven't used. I watched a YouTube video on how to use them. Seems like a lot of work and effort.