Esteemed Contributor

Sponges, Brushes, Fingers or something else?

I know some women buy sets of makeup brushes and have various tools to do their makeup.  I have never owned a brush for applying foundation.  I always used the sponge applicator with Mac when I wore it, I use a sponge now for my foundation.  I do use my fingers for my creams and moisturizers, but that's about it.

I know brushes are likely good for things like adding color to the cheeks, setting powder and even eyeshadow.  

What do you use to apply your foundation?

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Honored Contributor

Re: Sponges, Brushes, Fingers or something else?

Depends on the product.    Fingers for liquid foundation...brush for powdered....etc.  

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Respected Contributor

I use a wetted blender sponge for my Covergitl Age Defying creme foundation and a brush for my Maybelline FIT matte powder. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gertrudecloset wrote:

I know some women buy sets of makeup brushes and have various tools to do their makeup.  I have never owned a brush for applying foundation.  I always used the sponge applicator with Mac when I wore it, I use a sponge now for my foundation.  I do use my fingers for my creams and moisturizers, but that's about it.

I know brushes are likely good for things like adding color to the cheeks, setting powder and even eyeshadow.  

What do you use to apply your foundation?

@gertrudecloset   Hi. I use a foundation type brush to apply my moisturizer and then use the same brush (w/ moisturizer on it) to blend my foundation. It seems to help the foundations go on more smoothly. Sometimes if I'm wearing powder to set the t zone, I'll go over that with a damp sponge.

Honored Contributor

Sponge for foundation. Brushes for bronzer or blush.
Respected Contributor

I am wearing a new to me foundation:  Pur 4-in-1 powder foundation.  So far, I really like it!  Techniques makes a sponge specifically for powder, and I am using it.  It applies more powder than a brush, which I like, since powder foundations have a tendency to be sheer anyway.  It also doesn't stir up any dry flakes I sometimes have from using Retin-A.

Respected Contributor

@gertrudecloset @I use a brush. My foundation has little balls that need to be broken before application. Also use a brush for powder. I use a combination of brushes, fingers and my beauty blender for everything else.

Honored Contributor

I have never gone to all that.  The women I see today, seem to be flawless and beautiful.  Glad I don't have to go through all that prep.  The ones on tv. have bright lights.  Don't know if all the heavy makeup is good for their skin, but I bet they spend a lot of time on facial skin.  So many beautiful women out there.  Use 3 brushes in all.  

Respected Contributor

When I used a liquid foundation, I always applied with my fingers...tried sponges & foundation brushes, but never liked the finish. Now that I use powders, I use flat-top brushes...gives me good coverage, and easy to add a little more where I need it.

Respected Contributor

I use a brush for bareMinerals loose foundation, a sponge for IT compact powder or liquid. I think I get better coverage than if I use my fingers. I do us fingers for applying sunscreen before foundation. Most days I wear the bareMinerals loose because it is the best shade match for me.