Honored Contributor

Re: Sponge Applicators for Eyeshadow

@decaf 

I have been watching "Dominique Sachse" a broadcaster in Houston, TX. 

My reasoning was that if someone looks good in high def, they must know secrets.

She did a video about eye prep/shadow and sang the praises of this CG shadow palette. I agree with her now!

I am now using several of her techniques/tools and its going well!

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

I never could get the hang of brushes for eyeshadow either!  Sponge applicator for me.

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Trusted Contributor

Love this thread.  I am old enough to remember when eyeshadow only came with sponge applicators.  And then at some point, it all switched to brushes and the applicators stopped being included.  Maybe some still do.  I am not sure.

I probably have used CG eyeshadow at some point.  When I was in high school, we all used drugstore make up, especially CG.  Remember the tortoise shell like compacts??? Smiley Happy Then I got to college and became a snob.  LOL and I had to use dept store brands because that's what all the girls used.  We had to get those GWP!!

Now I use anything.  And I do think drug store brands have stepped up their game.  They are just as good as the pricey brands. But I do think if you are looking for foundation, it's better to go to a counter and have someone help you.  I am not sure if we can still do that with covid...

But you've all inspired me to try out the sponges again.  Any use them wet?  Or would that be gross?  I know they are hard to clean or at least they were.

Respected Contributor

I prefer a sponge applicator for eye shadow. I think it’s because I don’t see well without my glasses and the the sponge applicator helps me be more precise. I feel like I have eye shadow every where with a brush.
Honored Contributor

@LTT1 

I love her!  

QVC Customer Care

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@RollTide2008 wrote:
I prefer a sponge applicator for eye shadow. I think it’s because I don’t see well without my glasses and the the sponge applicator helps me be more precise. I feel like I have eye shadow every where with a brush.

here is what has been working for me lately:

apply CG shadow (pretty heavily) with the shadow applicator (included)

Then I take my IT double-ended brush and blend blend blend using the narrower end.

42FCB414-DA8C-4F22-A42E-09CC1C2B6C0C.webp

Honored Contributor

@monicakm 

Me too!

Dominique Sachse

I was excited to "find" her. At last! Someone giving great makeup tips more my age!

She puts a lot of effort in also, giving links for current products she is using, doesn't she?

Honored Contributor

She does!  I'm not as pretty as she is naturally so I use more makeup than she does, plus, she's a news anchor so she has to have more of the natural look.  My sister in law and brother in law live in Houston (right out side of Houston) and know her casually.

Esteemed Contributor

@Dusty1 wrote:

@Effie54 Not Shanus, but let's talk. LOL

There are a lot of different types of eye shadow & they work better with different types of applicators. So first you have to determine the texture of the eye shadow. Then you choose a brush (Or sponge or finger-It's makeup. It's fun. You use what works best for you!!).

And, you choose the applicator that fits the space that you are applying it to.

This is for powder shadow application. Cream shadow is totally different, for me.

I use Mac Prep+Prime 24 Hr Extend Eye Base. I squeeze out a tiny amonut onto my ring finder & starting at the lash line pat & blend it up. I blend the edges really well. I don't want the edges grabbing eye shadow.

I tap a small brush (Mac 239) into my lid color & press that onto the lid. (This is where the eye shadow itself makes the difference. Some are more losely pressed or have a  texture that is coarser & you may get fallout.).

Or if I am using the same color from lash & through the crease, I use a larger brush (Mac 252). 

These are both brushes with firm bristles that hold & apply the shadow.

Then you can sweep & blend crease colors with brushes that are designed to be softer. (Mac 286 or Morphe M330).

So are there specific eye shadows that you are having problems with? Or brands?

We can talk about those, too!

Wow, thank you so much. I only use powder eyeshadow. Cream creases on my eyelids after an hour. I am using IT Cosmetics palates. Every time I try and use a brush, there's not a lot of deposit. When I use the applicator, it seems to adhere to the eyelid a little better. I do use brushes for blending though.