Regular Contributor

Hi ladies.  I am looking for suggestions in dealing with splits in our nails.  I had one nail with a split for a few years.  I have tried nail glue but didn;t get good results - within a few days the split is back.  I got a manicure and had the nail dipped (using the gel method) but that lasted less than 5 days.

I recently purchased a WHISH 2 piece kit from QVC and have not seen results.

Just last week another nail split.   

I have Perfect Formula items I use regularly and have tried a few nail repair formulas (oxygen based) but nothing has worked.

What do you use for splits???

Thank you for any suggestions.

Respected Contributor

My nails don't split, but they do start to break about half way down the nail bed. I keep clipping until it grows out and then it starts all over again. I'd appreciate help, too.

Trusted Contributor

Have you tried taking the vitamin supplementation Biotin ? 

My nails used to split and after being on that for awhile I haven't had any problems since.   

Honored Contributor

Keep your nails out of water as much as possible. Protect them with a nail oil and use hand moisturizer after washing your hands or doing housework. Nail splitting is often caused by repeated wetting and drying from water. Jojoba oil is a wonderful nail oil. It's full of ceramides and contains small molecules which can penetrate the nail and cuticle.

Honored Contributor

What kind of split are we talking about?  Horizontal or Veritcal?  I have fairly strong nails, but I still will get a horizontal split or crack just above the quiik on the side when they get long.  I usually discover it when I'm shampooing my hair and the hair gets caught in it.  

Respected Contributor

Try Nailtique.  It worked for my 2 nails that always split in a weak spot.

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Honored Contributor

FISH OIL (capsules you swallow)  solved my nail problems.   (It takes a while for the nails to grow out, tho.)

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Trusted Contributor

My husband split his nail in half when he was younger while mowing the lawn. Even after all these years, even though the nail has obviously grown out numerous times, it still has that split in it and always will.  Depending on how your nail is split, it may just always be that way. 

Honored Contributor
@Denise in PA  Split Nails

What’s a split nail?

A split nail is usually caused by physical stress, nutrient deficiency, or wear and tear. Split nails can be a problem, especially if you work with your hands.

Although split nails are completely normal and sometimes unavoidable, there are ways you can prevent split nails in the future.

Here we explain what might be the cause of your split nail, how to prevent them, and when to see a doctor.

What are nails made out of?

Your fingernails and toenails are made out of layers of keratin which is also the protein that hair is made out of.

Your nail protects the nail bed. The nail growth comes from below the cuticle area.

Healthy nails appear smooth, with consistent coloring. If you’re concerned with any changes to your nails, consult a doctor.

Split nail causes

A split nail is characterized by a crack forming in your nail. Nail splits can be horizontal, across the nail’s tip, or vertical, splitting the nail in two.

Common causes of split nails include:

Moisture

Moisture can cause nails to become weak and brittle. Long-term exposure can cause the skin around the nail to soften.

The nail itself becomes brittle making it easier to break, bend, or split. Overexposure to moisture can occur while doing dishes, washing hands, or repeated nail polish use.

Picking or biting

Many people have a habit of picking their fingernails and toenails. Picking or biting is usually a result of an anxiety issue.

Picking or biting your nails can cause stress to the nail and result in a self-inflicted split or broken nail.

Injury

An injury may be a probable cause for a split nail. Crushing your nail tip or bed can result in your nail growing with a ridge or split-like appearance.

Injury and weakening can also happen with fake nails.

Infections

Fungal, bacterial, or yeast infections in the nail bed can change the texture of the nails, resulting in weakened and split nails.

Psoriasis

Psoriasis can affect both the skin and the nails. Psoriasis can cause the nail to thicken, crumble, or split. Up to 78 percentTrusted Source of people with psoriasis are estimated to experience nail issues at some point.

Diseases

Certain diseases may cause nail health to decline which could contribute to nail splits.

Diseases that may contribute to split nails include:

How to prevent split nails

While there’s not much that you can do to fix a split nail, there are ways you can prevent your nails from splitting in the first place.

Here are some tips for preventing split nails:

• Keep your nails clean and healthy.
  • Refrain from keeping your hands or feet in water for long periods.
  • Use moisturizer on your nails and cuticles.
  • Use nail hardening products if necessary. 
  • Don’t bite or pick around your nails.
  • Refrain from using nail polish remover.
  • Don’t rip or pull your hangnails.
  • Take supplements such as biotin with permission from a doctor.

Serious nail splits

If your nail split extends into your nail bed, you may need to visit a doctor. Your nail may have to be removed and your nail bed may need stitches.

If your nail can be reattached, a doctor will reattach it with glue or stitches.

If you’re experiencing any of the following symptoms, be sure to contact your doctor:

Outlook

Most split nails will heal with time as your nails grow out. If you’re experiencing frequent splitting, avoid moisture on your nails and consider using a nail hardening solution.

If your split nails are causing you frequent discomfort, consult with your doctor about treatment options.

Honored Contributor

Re: Splits in nails

[ Edited ]

Try several layers of a good nail strengthener under color polish or alone. I had a split in my pinky that I could not get rid of for a long time. Just kept increasing the protection with coats of the strengthener and it sealed it up, when I took off all the layers it was just about fused again, hard to imagine but true. I think using just the strengthener alone with no color on top of it is best way to try it.