Honored Contributor

Re: Speaking of "older"......

@Campion

I have found that my Lauren Hutton face disk (which I found just now) has cool-toned makeup.

In my makeup adventures, I have found that so many of the shades (particularly IT) are "toned" for yellow undertoned skin.

With just a tiny amount of LH blush and brown "pooch" I have found that it takes so little to make a huge impact.

Thanks to the poster who mentioned Lauren Hutton because I got busy right before retirement and forgot that I had this! (nice)

The tones of LH are very blue undertoned, which as some have pointed out, on warm skin tones could look very "drab."  On a blue under-toned porcelain, these shades make a HUGE difference.

My first nearly lavendar shade of lipliner in LH was a huge hit with me... I can't find this one anywhere.  So help is needed if you can!  TIA

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

I started a thread about Argon Oil that went a trifle off track, but my point was that I am amazed how much my skin has perked up in just a week by using it and another OTC.

I really didin't EVER put too much faith in topicals, but I definitely couldn't deny the results on this.

My skin is paper thin Irish snow white, colorless, NOT translucentish, and NOW I'm loving the most recent BareMinerals (BareSkin) TSV.

So at present, I am LOVING Argon Oil.

Honored Contributor

@violann

I will need to get the Argan oil back out.

Is yours Josie Maran?  The reason I ask is because I tried a different brand from Whole Foods and might as well throw it away... it was nowhere near the "lightness" of JM's...

Do you find this to be true?

Honored Contributor

Definitely plan to try both Josie's regular (not light) AO and her blush,  but the sample I received was some generic giveaway I think.

Honored Contributor

Re: Speaking of ""older""......

@Feline Fine wrote:

boombycindyjoseph.com

BOOM! has been mentioned a couple times on this thread but I haven't seen any responses.  At 56, I've scaled way back on products and have been using Lumene CC cream as a base.  But I've thought about trying BOOM! many times over the years.  Eventually I may just decide to give up an all-over foundation-type base and go for the simplicity of Cindy's products.  If you haven't visited her site, here's a link.

http://www.boombycindyjoseph.com/pages/store

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Respected Contributor

@LTT1 wrote:

@violann

I will need to get the Argan oil back out.

Is yours Josie Maran?  The reason I ask is because I tried a different brand from Whole Foods and might as well throw it away... it was nowhere near the "lightness" of JM's...

Do you find this to be true?

I find that to be true.  I tried other Argan Oils too and from whole foods as well and just kept going back to Josie's.  Hers is my fav and won't be without it.  I also like the original over the Light version she has. 

Respected Contributor

@just bee wrote:
On 2/22/2014 juliasmom said:
On 2/21/2014 ForTheLuv said:

I think that is rather odd. There is nothing that says or shows that any line cannot be used for any age. It is simply about HOW YOU APPLY IT that matters. It has absolutely NOTHING to do with age. As the consumer, you need to take responsibility for YOUR needs. Stop trying to blame companies for not catering to what is your every need. Come on. If you are of that age and you do not know how to put on makeup by now...you need to seek professional help. That is all it boils down to. You do not need a "special" line to be created for you!!! Makeup is makeup and there would be absolutely NOTHING different between your special line and any other line. It seems kind of lazy and dense to feel that you would need a line created for your age. Just educate yourself and use colors that work for YOU. Learn how to apply makeup correctly and I doubt you would even be posting this ridiculousness.

My, My! Who Pe*d in your cheerios?

I am so grateful I wasn't taking a sip of my beer when I read this. I would have drowned.

Just Bee you are so funny!!!  Boy I would hate to be Julia!  Sheesh!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'm not sure an age-targeted makeup line would sell very well because we all age differently .... and many factors are involved ......   heredity, sun exposure, weather (women who live in desert climates seem to have more wrinkles than women who live in more humid climates), not to mention what kind of treatments and skin care you use .... facials, dermabrasion, exfoliation, retinol, hydrating masks,  etc etc.

I take very good care of my skin and know women 15-20 years younger than I that have more wrinkles ....  because they never use sunscreen!    I have a friend that  I see a few times a year and she  always asks me what makeup I'm using when she really should be focusing on her skin care regimen.   I try to point that out but she thinks the right makeup will be the answer to everything  ....  Oh well.

So, IMO, while  some form of retinol and sunscreen are mandatory, they won't really do much for sagging or baggy eye circles.  That might require some minor plastic surgery, or a product like PTR firming thing that goes on before makeup.   Cheaper, but temporary.

Well, that's my two cents.

Honored Contributor

@LuluOnBeauty

@LuluOnBeauty wrote:
On 2/21/2014 ForTheLuv said:
On 2/21/2014 luvpoos said:

I think that would be a wonderful idea. Products really geared to the issues that arise as we age since we all do. I have wasted too much money on things that just settle into my lines and wrinkles because they look so great on someone with flawless skin. Right now it is just trial and error. I have pretty much given up on the hunt and settle for what I have now.

Crazy. NO! It is not about the company. It is about YOU choosing the wrong types of products for YOUR skin. There is not many products out there that will not settle into lines. If one just took a step back and thought about it logically....how in the world is any company supposed to make that possible? The ONLY way to do so, would be to make the product serum-like with a lot of pigment to also be able to cover imperfections. But there are these type of products already. Why can't you just find what YOU need? At what point is it YOUR fault for not buying for your skin type? That is just crazy that you are comparing a foundation that settles in your wrinkles, and you bought it because it looked great on someone half your age. Well duh...that is YOUR fault.

And you know what would come next? All those who have to complain about something. People would complain the line excludes them and their age bracket. Just like people complain now that other lines do not cater to them and THEIR needs. Nobody can please everyone and not every product is for everyone. With millions of products out there, we are all faced with the task of FINDING what works for YOU. They already make lines catered to certain needs that do not work for everyone. This is no different.

I have to bring about a different perspective. I'm 55. I have worn makeup since 16. I wear makeup almost daily. I have a lot of makeup. I love it, I can afford it, and I have the time to play with it. A lot as in 200+ lippies, 40+ foundations, and I can say the same for highlighters, bronzers, blushes. I also started a YT beauty channel for mature beauties.

Does this make me an expert? Nope, never took a makeup class in my life. But I can share with you that trying to find an eye liner that will not skip over a crepy eye lid is an adventure. Finding an eye shadow brush that is soft enough to not move your lid skin instead of blending the shadow is eye opening, forgive the pun. Foundation? Matte makes you look dead. High coverage for these dreaded age spots is great but often too thick. Pores get large from the stretching of sagging skin. An eye brow product that covers greys without making all the rest of the brow hairs too dark would be heaven. We need concealer that cover brown spots not red acne scars. There's a difference.

Have I found multiple products for all the above issues? YES. But fortunatley, I have the time, enjoyment and financial means to hunt and hunt and hunt. Plus I enjoy the chase! For others, it is simply frustrating, a waste of time and expensive during a time when income channels are about to get limited.

Are the products out there? Yes. It is the money and the time to find them. To have items that address maturing issues in one place on the drug store wall or the same counter at the department store would be wonderful.

I think there is a lot to learn from this poster!  I hope she will come back and share everything she knows!

Frequent Contributor

[ Edited ]

Well I will be 60 in Jan.  I have found that getting a good micro dermabraison and facial once a month has helped me. The rest of the time I use Dr. Dennis Gross' peels. I swear that just because I have "older" age, my skin thinks I am 15 and have oil, and other teen issues!

I use more serums than creams and wash everything off using my clarisonic.Treat your skin as YOU know you have to and don't worry about having a "dedicated" line.  Just because it says for "over 50 or over 60" doesn't mean your skin knows it.  I know if I put creams on my face day after day I will end up with bumps, and oils. YUCK!

By this age we should know what works.

As for make-up, the lesser the better.  I try to enhance my nice cheek bones and use a good SPF BB cream or foundation. I also make sure my eyebrows look good.