Super Contributor

Re: Speaking of ""older""......

On 2/22/2014 Hoovermom said:
On 2/21/2014 Hoovermom said:

LuluCCS: Please share with us "older" ladies what really works for you for eyes, lips, cheeks, face, etc. Would love to know the names of these products because I have lost patience trying to find those "holy grails".

LuluCCS: Please come back and share your findings.

Hoovermom,

Another poster alerted me to your request. I will be back today with a short book! Thank you for askin! Lulu

Beauty blogger and YTer who loves it all! Cheers, Lulu Bea aka Lulu On Beauty - Let's be FACEBOOK beauty friends!
Super Contributor

I have found as I age that I have different makeup needs.Brown spots from to much sun, and fine wrinkles to deal with. I have gone so many brands trying to find one .Any makeup works for younger skin , and it just looks good. When I was younger I thought buying Revlon was a big splurge , Can"t believe what I spend now.

Honored Contributor

On 2/22/2014 juliasmom said:
On 2/21/2014 ForTheLuv said:

I think that is rather odd. There is nothing that says or shows that any line cannot be used for any age. It is simply about HOW YOU APPLY IT that matters. It has absolutely NOTHING to do with age. As the consumer, you need to take responsibility for YOUR needs. Stop trying to blame companies for not catering to what is your every need. Come on. If you are of that age and you do not know how to put on makeup by now...you need to seek professional help. That is all it boils down to. You do not need a "special" line to be created for you!!! Makeup is makeup and there would be absolutely NOTHING different between your special line and any other line. It seems kind of lazy and dense to feel that you would need a line created for your age. Just educate yourself and use colors that work for YOU. Learn how to apply makeup correctly and I doubt you would even be posting this ridiculousness.

My, My! Who Pe*d in your cheerios?

I am so grateful I wasn't taking a sip of my beer when I read this. I would have drowned.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Super Contributor

Hoovermom,

Here's my best shot at answering your question with a major disclaimer: I have oily skin, never break out, not sensitive, don't pay attention to ingredients, cruelty free, or country of origin. At 55, I'm pretty much without fine lines, my age spots are not bad. If they show through a bit from under my foundation, I'm fine with that. My biggest issues are large pores, oily skin and broken capillaries/uneven color. I ALWAYS use a primer, usually one that is mattifying. I almost always use the Beauty Blender.sponge for applying foundation. Huge difference for mature skin! Sometimes I use a brush and sometimes fingers are best. My choice of makeup is based on perfect color match, weather, how long I want to look good and how much blotting I'm willing to do, if any. It could be the best foundation in the world but if I can't find an exact color match, it does not make it to the top of my list. I would say I've tried 60 foundation over the last two years. Own about 40. I used to have dry skin. Dry skin is much easier than oily skin. Other disclaimers are listed below with products.

Foundation (tied for first place, drug store and mid level)

Revlon Age Defying and Lifting (does neither), satin finish, wears about 6 hours, I must set this one with powder, I will only use the Beauty Blender with this one. If you use your fingers, apply a light layer then decide if you need a second layer. One regular or thick layer may show pores if applied with fingers.

L'Oreal Visible Lift (does not lift) is maybe my favorite drug store foundation, all the above but I don't need to set this one. For me, wears a bit longer and I can use fingers if I want to.

Dermablend Smooth Indulgence is a real sleeper of a great foundation. Not at all too heavy, glides on, does not need to be set, good coverage, lasts most of the day. Ulta sells it, lots of colors.

Foundation (tied for first place, higher end)

Guerlain Lingerie de Peau, satin finish, very liquidy with incredible coverage, natural finish, wears all day, buildable, apply with fingers, brush, sponge, it looks good no matter what.

Guerlain Tenue de Perfection, if I had to pick one foundation, which is not in my DNA!!, it would be this one for my skin, my lifestyle, my application, my foundation requirements. Gorgeous natural finish, wears all day and beyond, very little blotting for me, does not need to be set, cover pores. I look air brushed in this one.

Chanel Vitalumiere Aqua is very similar to Lingerie de Peau. Applies like a dream, light coverage but can be built and still look completely natural, good for me in the hot summer. First time I tried this foundation, I could not stop looking at my skin.

Chanel Perfection Lumiere is a long wearing, satin finish that covers my pores and might be the most make-up looking of these four first place winners. Not in a bad way. There are times I like to look made up, particularly when I wear my hair up and going to an event. I will never be without this foundation.

Foundation Second Place

Revlon Colorstay Normal/Dry even for my oily skin, best with Beauty Blender

Revlon Nearly Naked for light coverage and buildable to medium and stays natural

Lancome Teint Idole Ultra 24H, not sure this will work for dry skin, best with Beauty Blender

Urban Decay Naked for light coverage and buildable to medium and stays natural

My all time favorite powder foundation is MAC Studio Skin. I LOVE this foundation. I use the $3 e.l.f. flat top powder brush and buff it in. If I find a liquid foundation I like but maybe has light coverage and is not buildable, I will use this as my finishing powder but that is rare. I use this alone, as foundation. Love it!

CONTINUED BELOW

Beauty blogger and YTer who loves it all! Cheers, Lulu Bea aka Lulu On Beauty - Let's be FACEBOOK beauty friends!
Super Contributor

PART TWO

Finishing/Setting Powder

I like a satin finish with that has a barely a glow. There is no shimmer or sheen. I call it a glow. Hourglass Ambient Lighting Powder in Dim, Revlon Nearly Naked, MAC Mineral Skin Finish Natural and Sephora Microsmooth Baked Foundation powder (I use as finishing powder but it is also a nice light coverage foundation powder on its own if you can find a match). My number one favorite is IT Bye Bye pores and I sweep it on with the included puff. For all others listed, I use a big fluffy powder brush and dab on very lightly. I use very little powder so the brush type and shape is important to not pick up too much. I like synthetic fibers.

For my oily break through touch ups during the day, my Holy Grail is Rimmel Stay Matte. I have very few Holy Grails!

Concealer/Brightener

Maybelline Fit Me followed up with Maybelline Instant Age Rewind Dark Circle Eraser in Brightening, a pink-y color.

I don't have dark under eye circles but do have serious hash mark crepiness and wrinkles. They are reddish, not dark. My issue is they are very very dry and very very sensitive. Exact opposite of my skin. I need a concealer mostly for brightening, light coverage and reflective properties to blur the crepiness. I never set my under eye concealer. I'm always on the hunt. I don't wear contacts. My eyes are not watery but are getting sensitive with age. I used to only use the Maybelline Instant Age Rewind in Light but now it makes my eyes water. Grrrr. Loved it! I can use the Brightener version because I don't bring it up to my eye, I onlyu use on bottom half over the Fit Me.

Lips

I bought the newly launched NARS Instant Line and Pore Perfector to help fill in my very wrinkled and lined lips. Love it! I was using a very thin layer of Laura Geller Spackle depending on the lipstick. Some colors and finishes show my lines really awful. I find the LG changes the lipstick color if I use to thick a layer.

Easy to apply liners on my lined lips that are not drying but do last for me are Rimmel automatics, Urban Decay, MAC, Dior, Milani and Cover Girl.

Eye Primer

Can't find one that I like for my very crepy but very oily lids that are also discolored. Hard combination!!! Right now I like Lorac's eye primer to slightly help with crepiness with MAC Soft Ochre paint pot on top to cover discoloration and stop creasing. Eh. I used to love Urban Decay Primer Potion in Eden but it has become too drying for my crepy lids.

Face Primer

I think the older you are, the more you need a face primer. All of mine are about mattifying so not sure I'm of help to most of you. If you are mostly a QVC shopper, Mally's is great for all skin types.

Blush and Shadows

I know many women do not like shimmer or sparkle. I don't care so I'm not sure I can be of help here. My only criteria for blush is that I don't like it to look powdery at all and I don't like highly pigmented blushes. If I had to pick one line, only has 4 colors, it is Physicians Formula Happy Booster blushes. If you can afford Tom Ford, love these across the board. Laura Geller is pretty good across the line,too. I feel like every other drug store or high end is hit and miss.

I'm a rare bird but I think matte shadows make my crepiness look much worse. If you like matte, Physicians Formula has two or three matte quads. Beautiful. Apply like butter, no fall out, easy to blend, neutral colors, good pigmentation. I put together my own Inglot palette. I think their quality is better than MAC, more colors and better price. Sonia Kashuk at Target makes a nice neutral matte palette this are mostly good. NYX has good mattes but pigmentation can be hit or miss bit always apply beautifully.

Eye Liner

I don't use eye liner with my small, completely hooded eyes. I only tightline and use Jordanna 12 Hour Liquid Pencil. On the bottom waterline,

I use a nude/bone pencil liner but can't find one that last beyond an hour. At the moment, NARS Larger than Life in Rue Bonaparte is the best of the worst for lasting. I use mascara on bottom lashes or Urband Decay 24/7 in Mushroom very very lightly. I think it is complimentary for older eyes and not at all harsh. Very soft effect.

You can always reach me via PM on YouTube at Lady Lulu on Beauty or on Facebook at Lulu Scents.

P.S. If anyone knows a FB closed or secret group that is for older beauties who love makeup and is a very active group, please let me know.

Super Contributor

http://www.boombycindyjoseph.com

Respected Contributor

LuluCCS: Thanks so much I am going to digest your post. You have been most helpful to all of us. Again, thanks and have a great Monday.

Honored Contributor

Re: Speaking of "older"......

[ Edited ]

@violann@Feline Fine@LuluOnBeauty@Hoovermom

Look what I found!'

After all of this time (1 1/2 years), and after so many changes, here are some long lost posters (check the original date of this thread)! And there are also some "not-so-lost" posters Heart

What an enlightened discussion regarding make-up this is!

I am hoping we continue this "enlightened" trend of sharing make-up saavy information, as much as was present in the past...

If you are MIA, won't you please stop by and re-connect? It's not the same without you. 💚💜💋💄👑💥

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Respected Contributor

Re: Speaking of "older"......

Well, I'm nearly sixty-four and I found that IT foundation (the CC cream especially) works particularly well. The disk of the blush, bronzer and highlighter are good as well--only the highlighter has shimmer. These seem to go on without creasing and I notice I look better wearing them than not wearing them.

Laura Geller's Balance and Brighten isn't bad, but some of her other things have too much shimmer (the eye shadows in particular) so I don't like them. A bit too glitter.

Bare Minerals looks very good on if you apply it their way. No mask, cakey look.

But IT so far is the best I've found. 

I happen to wear "Too Faced" eye makeup. It does have some shimmery shades but their demo cards that come with some of the palettes do a very good look especially for evening and dressed up daytime. 

One book I have How Not To Look Old has very good advice on foundation and especally lipstick. The book asserts that pink lipstick is what you want to be wearing, not dark colors. I've done some experiments and I've ended up with a wardrobe of sandy pink lipsticks that really are more flattering that darker berries. 

I hope this helps. 

Honored Contributor

@LuluOnBeauty

Wait for me! Wait for me!  

I now have time to go to your Youtube videos!

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~