Frequent Contributor

Re: Speaking of ""older""......

For those of you looking to cover grays on the brows...I have been doing this for years and it works like a charm.....otherwise I would not have any brows left at all from plucking the grays!

Get some Nice and Easy 10 minute root cover...BUT buy 2 shades LIGHTER than you think you need....you can always go darker. I do not use the brush with it as it is too iffy and instead use a Q Tip. Let it stay on for only 5 minutes the FIRST time only so you can judge color and how well it is covering the grays...after that, go the full 10 minutes........

That lasts me about almost a month, but in between, I got off Sephora the "Anastasia Tinter Brow Gel"....have tried other less expensive ones, but feel this is the best IMO and really does cover the grays. She is the woman that does all the brow makeovers including Oprah's redo .

As for blush, I believe the Maybelline Dream Bouncy CREAM blush is really nice and if you do a primer under your foundation and put a BIT of powder UNDER it, it lasts a long time......not clownish and not dead looking.

Foundation is an enigma. I must have 20 bottles, but have come to like Isomers coverage on the "It's Gorgeous Foundation" for daytime (does not look like heavy make up in the sun, but does cover), BUT if you are not with yellow undertones, I would not get that...it comes in a lighter one and a darker one and they were sold as a pair. But for nightwear, I use the Revlon Photo Ready (a liquid).....get a "stipple brush" that really blends and when you use it in a circular motion seems to really make pores around the nose disappear.

I read somewhere that applying the lighter one in the bottom 1/3 of face and the darker one above gives the illusion of fuller lower face (at 64 I have lost weight and volume, sadly) and think there is some visible difference in doing that...just make sure to blend...blend.

I agree with others re: matte eyeshadows...they make you look dead and over the years, I find a few here and there I like but to each his (or ) her own.....I tried Lauren Hutton's line and really felt it made me look very washed out...I think we do need a bit of color since we naturally lose it as we age.

Lastly...a primer for face is important I think......I wanted to try to eliminate the more chemical types and tried Korres, but it did nothing for me as did Laura Gellar's........tried YBF and that was passable as is Smashbox...YBF does not have parabens but does have silicones as does Smashbox, but it seems that they do the best job in keeping the make up on and pores seem more refined..........just let it sink in a few minutes and do not over moisturize of you use a primer so make up does not slide offSmiley Happy..........just a few thoughts

Respected Contributor

On 2/21/2014 ambersmom said:

Lastly...a primer for face is important I think......I wanted to try to eliminate the more chemical types and tried Korres, but it did nothing for me as did Laura Gellar's........tried YBF and that was passable as is Smashbox...YBF does not have parabens but does have silicones as does Smashbox, but it seems that they do the best job in keeping the make up on and pores seem more refined..........just let it sink in a few minutes and do not over moisturize of you use a primer so make up does not slide offSmiley Happy..........just a few thoughts

100% Pure has a nice looking primer that I've been wanting to try. Just fyi if you are still on a quest to find a chemical free one.

Trusted Contributor

On 2/21/2014 queenfrannie said:

This was a very nice topic until the nasty one made her comments!

Seriously! That's the second unnecessarily harsh post I've seen from her today! She needs to get over herself!

Frequent Contributor

On 2/21/2014 BellaCarro said:

100% Pure has a nice looking primer that I've been wanting to try. Just fyi if you are still on a quest to find a chemical free one.

will check it out and reviews...thank so much, girl!

EDIT....checked out on Amazon and Make up Alley....really good reviews!!

Thanks!

Respected Contributor

Thanks!

Please post your thoughts on it if you try it. I'm making a real effort to get chemicals off of my skin (as much as possible) and would really like to know your thoughts on it.

Frequent Contributor

Thanks!

Please post your thoughts on it if you try it. I'm making a real effort to get chemicals off of my skin (as much as possible) and would really like to know your thoughts on it.

will do!!!Smiley Happy.......it is amazing what we absorb.....have totally gotten away from lipsticks/glosses that have funky stuff in them just because of that and really trying to limit in cosmetics chosen......FYI...the Korres Fig body cream is heaven!!..very moisturizing without grease...no junk (who wants to put so many chemicals to be absorbed on this amount of real estate????{#emotions_dlg.w00t}......will keep you posted!....thanks again!

Esteemed Contributor

There are so many choices of moisturizes, make-up, eye-shadows, etc. Best to try several until u find what works best for you. I'm 73 yrs young and use the basics - Maybelline, Loreal, Almay, etc - whatever I find.

Honored Contributor

I have found that ""older women"" tend to know more about makeup than a lot of make up artists. For example...I have dry skin. I have always liked liquid foundation that left a moist dewy finish. I also have some hyperpigmentation now. A light dewy finish will not hide it anymore. The matte stayed on better and covered my spots better but was too dry and chalky so I went to a heavier cream foundation that still didn't cover the spots very welland accentuated my lines. Next I tried the dewy liquid with mineral foundation over it....not bad...pretty good actually! Now I am back to a longer lasting matte foundation but wear a night cream under it and use Bobbi Brown Shimmer Brick to get back that youthful glow. This is the best so far. I am 64. I tend to stay with whatever I am doing for several years. When that doesn't work you try something different. Everyone's needs are so different. I tend to agree with ForTheLuv in that I feel there is something out there for just about everyone.

Valued Contributor

Has anyone tried the ""Boom"" line?

No thought is worth thinking.....
Respected Contributor

Revlon had a complete make-up line for "older" women. It was good, but bombed. It was later determined that older women don't want make-up to remind them of their age.