Honored Contributor
Has any cosmetic corporation ever developed a make-up "system" for women over 60? I know I'd shop with them! I see lots of skin care lines for aging skin, but I'm talking about a wholistic collection of make-ups for eyes, cheeks, lips, and skin that would be designed to create a flattering look the "old" face. No euphemisms wanted, just attractive, complimenting colors and techniques to emphasize the character and charm of the old face. Anyone with me?
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Speaking of ""older""......

Lauren Hutton is the only one I can think of. But I think she does a disservice in some ways. She would have everyone ascribing to flat and dull, which to me, looks even older.

Rather than age, I think it is best if you shop color system. But some color systems are hit & miss, IMO, with no real "color science" behind them. It's clear that they are just vieing for market dollars.

Esteemed Contributor

If there is, I haven't heard of it. I know as I've gotten older, I've experimented with different colors and methods of applying to find what works best for me. I suggest you go to YouTube and watch videos of makeup applications for older ladies -- some good ideas, some bad ideas, but fun to see others' methods.

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Honored Contributor

That would be wonderful to have a cosmetic & skincare line for women 50 & over. I would prefer organic. I personally have switched to organic skincare but I would love to see more older models on TV when applying makeup. The Q needs to stop bringing models on with full makeup on their faces. This does not show us how the makeup will look. I believe women, young & old, want less chemicals on their skin. Thank you, for posting this thread.

kindness is strength
Super Contributor

I have a strong feeling that it would not sell. Women prefer to think of themselves as having the ability to look younger than their chronological age so the fantasy factor would be gone. I also believe that any makeup line can be adapted for a woman over 60. All she need do is apply with a less heavy hand and choose colors carefully.

I like your idea but I just don't know how successful it would be....

Super Contributor

Revlon had a line of cosmetics for more mature skin (I don't recall the name), but it didn't last long before it was discontinued.

I don't think a line for older skin would be necessarily a good thing. Most manufacturers assume that older=dry skin which is not always the case. I think you're better off learning what colors and textures work best for you rather than focusing on age. For me, it's matte products which are all available in regular lines. Same with skin care, if you're dry, look for more moisturizing products, if you're oily, lighter products. No need to be dictated by age, IMO.

Super Contributor

I agree the idea of makeup invokes fantasy and miracles...hence "anti-aging" labels on everything.

HSN showed a new serum foundation a few days ago. The vendor had on mature models and the foundation looked really nice on them. Two models were sort of plain, pale, with some complexion spots in their befores and looked very nice after. I appreciate that they do not use all 20-something models.

Respected Contributor

I think that would be a wonderful idea. Products really geared to the issues that arise as we age since we all do. I have wasted too much money on things that just settle into my lines and wrinkles because they look so great on someone with flawless skin. Right now it is just trial and error. I have pretty much given up on the hunt and settle for what I have now.

Super Contributor

I think that is rather odd. There is nothing that says or shows that any line cannot be used for any age. It is simply about HOW YOU APPLY IT that matters. It has absolutely NOTHING to do with age. As the consumer, you need to take responsibility for YOUR needs. Stop trying to blame companies for not catering to what is your every need. Come on. If you are of that age and you do not know how to put on makeup by now...you need to seek professional help. That is all it boils down to. You do not need a "special" line to be created for you!!! Makeup is makeup and there would be absolutely NOTHING different between your special line and any other line. It seems kind of lazy and dense to feel that you would need a line created for your age. Just educate yourself and use colors that work for YOU. Learn how to apply makeup correctly and I doubt you would even be posting this ridiculousness.

Super Contributor

On 2/21/2014 luvpoos said:

I think that would be a wonderful idea. Products really geared to the issues that arise as we age since we all do. I have wasted too much money on things that just settle into my lines and wrinkles because they look so great on someone with flawless skin. Right now it is just trial and error. I have pretty much given up on the hunt and settle for what I have now.

Crazy. NO! It is not about the company. It is about YOU choosing the wrong types of products for YOUR skin. There is not many products out there that will not settle into lines. If one just took a step back and thought about it logically....how in the world is any company supposed to make that possible? The ONLY way to do so, would be to make the product serum-like with a lot of pigment to also be able to cover imperfections. But there are these type of products already. Why can't you just find what YOU need? At what point is it YOUR fault for not buying for your skin type? That is just crazy that you are comparing a foundation that settles in your wrinkles, and you bought it because it looked great on someone half your age. Well duh...that is YOUR fault.

And you know what would come next? All those who have to complain about something. People would complain the line excludes them and their age bracket. Just like people complain now that other lines do not cater to them and THEIR needs. Nobody can please everyone and not every product is for everyone. With millions of products out there, we are all faced with the task of FINDING what works for YOU. They already make lines catered to certain needs that do not work for everyone. This is no different.