Frequent Contributor

Re: Speaking of ""older""......

This was a very nice topic until the nasty one made her comments!

Valued Contributor

I am 62 but choose skincare based on my skin, not my age. I always had very oily skin and now have normal/slightly dry so I look for products that suit my current complexion. I have almost no wrinkles but some sagging so I look for products that address this too. I don't think all women over 50 have the same skin so a line based on age rather than actual condition would not appeal to me. As for cosmetics, I also make choices based on my individual coloring not based on my age.

Respected Contributor

I find that the more I pay attention to my skincare, the better chance I have of my makeup looking good. Seems like my biggest issue these days is my eye makeup. Some of that is makeup and the rest is puffiness. Ugh. I solve the problem by avoiding mirrors for the day. LOL

Super Contributor

10 or 15 years ago, Revlon started a line for mature ladies. Started with a V. Didn't make it. I think they were ahead of their time. Now, as baby boomers are in that age range is the time to launch such a line.

I'm just a bit younger than you and I think there are many, many excellent products out there at both the drug store, high end and luxury markets for 50+ ladies. Is there a specific issue or product you're needing help to find? Maybe we can make suggestions.

Beauty blogger and YTer who loves it all! Cheers, Lulu Bea aka Lulu On Beauty - Let's be FACEBOOK beauty friends!
Super Contributor

On 2/21/2014 ForTheLuv said:
On 2/21/2014 luvpoos said:

I think that would be a wonderful idea. Products really geared to the issues that arise as we age since we all do. I have wasted too much money on things that just settle into my lines and wrinkles because they look so great on someone with flawless skin. Right now it is just trial and error. I have pretty much given up on the hunt and settle for what I have now.

Crazy. NO! It is not about the company. It is about YOU choosing the wrong types of products for YOUR skin. There is not many products out there that will not settle into lines. If one just took a step back and thought about it logically....how in the world is any company supposed to make that possible? The ONLY way to do so, would be to make the product serum-like with a lot of pigment to also be able to cover imperfections. But there are these type of products already. Why can't you just find what YOU need? At what point is it YOUR fault for not buying for your skin type? That is just crazy that you are comparing a foundation that settles in your wrinkles, and you bought it because it looked great on someone half your age. Well duh...that is YOUR fault.

And you know what would come next? All those who have to complain about something. People would complain the line excludes them and their age bracket. Just like people complain now that other lines do not cater to them and THEIR needs. Nobody can please everyone and not every product is for everyone. With millions of products out there, we are all faced with the task of FINDING what works for YOU. They already make lines catered to certain needs that do not work for everyone. This is no different.

I have to bring about a different perspective. I'm 55. I have worn makeup since 16. I wear makeup almost daily. I have a lot of makeup. I love it, I can afford it, and I have the time to play with it. A lot as in 200+ lippies, 40+ foundations, and I can say the same for highlighters, bronzers, blushes. I also started a YT beauty channel for mature beauties.

Does this make me an expert? Nope, never took a makeup class in my life. But I can share with you that trying to find an eye liner that will not skip over a crepy eye lid is an adventure. Finding an eye shadow brush that is soft enough to not move your lid skin instead of blending the shadow is eye opening, forgive the pun. Foundation? Matte makes you look dead. High coverage for these dreaded age spots is great but often too thick. Pores get large from the stretching of sagging skin. An eye brow product that covers greys without making all the rest of the brow hairs too dark would be heaven. We need concealer that cover brown spots not red acne scars. There's a difference.

Have I found multiple products for all the above issues? YES. But fortunatley, I have the time, enjoyment and financial means to hunt and hunt and hunt. Plus I enjoy the chase! For others, it is simply frustrating, a waste of time and expensive during a time when income channels are about to get limited.

Are the products out there? Yes. It is the money and the time to find them. To have items that address maturing issues in one place on the drug store wall or the same counter at the department store would be wonderful.

Beauty blogger and YTer who loves it all! Cheers, Lulu Bea aka Lulu On Beauty - Let's be FACEBOOK beauty friends!
Respected Contributor

LuluCCS: Please share with us "older" ladies what really works for you for eyes, lips, cheeks, face, etc. Would love to know the names of these products because I have lost patience trying to find those "holy grails".

Valued Contributor

On 2/21/2014 queenfrannie said:

You got that right. If she is so knowledgable you would think she would share instead of ridiculing OP.

No thought is worth thinking.....
Occasional Contributor

LuluCCS, what a wonderfully written, thoughtful reply to the OP! I totally agree with what you said about the challenges of finding eyeliners that work on crepey lids, etc., as I, too, have worn makeup for eons (I think I started wearing it around the age of 12, which would be 48 years ago!), but that does not make me an expert. (Although I do occasionally blog about my makeup experiences, in the hope of sharing my mistakes and treasures with other 'older' beauties here: http://makeupmusingsofanoldbroad.blogspot.com/)

I would love to hear some of your favorite products that work well with our more aged skin! You are so right that it can be very expensive when experimenting with what works best on older skin. My four daughters benefit greatly from my mistakes! LOL But I am grateful to be able to 'waste' some of my money in the "Pursuit of Finding". If I were on a strict budget, I would be very sad, indeed.

Thank you, violann, for broaching this topic!

Highlighted
Contributor

On 2/21/2014 bunjetto said:
On 2/21/2014 queenfrannie said:

You got that right. If she is so knowledgable you would think she would share instead of ridiculing OP.

Contributor

I meant to say that I agree with both of you!