Valued Contributor

Speaking of primers-Paula's Choice

Just got an email that PC has a new primer and a liquid foundation. The primer is an SPF 30. It's a chemical suncreen which doesn't work for me but thought some of you might be interested.
Trusted Contributor

Re: Speaking of primers-Paula's Choice

I've been using Paula's Choice products since 1995.  There's a few I still order, BHA, her serums, Retinol, moisturizer with SPF.  However, I'm very dismayed at the high prices, especially her new primer for $30 at 1 oz.  Even if I had a coupon for 15 or 20% off I can't justify purchasing this product.  I do love her most of her products and the fact they are fragrance-free, color-free and no animal testing.  Customer service is amazing.  However, in the last few years prices have gone up dramatically.   Serums used to be about $24 now they are $38.  Hoping that QVC will offer a TSV again. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

lovethedesert - I totally agree. I use a few of her products and they are good, but have gotten so expensive.

I use and love her Vit C serum, but it is $50 for 2/3 of an ounce!!!!  That's comparable to $75 an oz if my math is right.

I guess what bothers me the most is her not being true to her values with her line.  I know she sold it and I'm sure that has something to do with it, but I remember well what she said before and after she came out with her line.

Before she came out with her own line, she would recommend drugstore brand products that worked just as well as higher end ones.  I remember her on TV doing that.  Then she came out with her own line and it was very reasonable - a far cry from what it is now.  Yes, I know, things go up, but there are still good lines out there that aren't that expensive.

I would not pay $30 for the primer either and don't want it to have an SPF anyway.

Super Contributor

Don't get me wrong, there are some great PC products (I really love the toners but can't use retinol). Primers are another product that, in the past, Paula has said are unnecessary (along with eye creams). 

Honored Contributor

I think her products are reasonably priced considering how long they last me. Yes, prices have gone up considerably since I first tried the products over 10 years ago but so has everything else in this world and I'm finding most of her products still priced lower than many other brands AND they work were so many others have not, at least for me. I mean, her 2% BHA liquid lasts me about 6 months and I use it every day. Hard to argue with that value.

I love her makeup products but I have no interest in primers and especially one with chemical sunscreens. I may try her liquid foundation at some point but haven't been impressed with her other liquid foundations in the past although the shade matched my skin really well. . Since she has such a good return policy, I may try this new version. It has alot of good ingredients in it.

Regarding what she said about primers in the past, she has said they weren't necessary to good a good makeup look but some people do like to use them for better wear. I totally agree with that statement-if you have a good, quality foundation that is for your skin type, you shouldn't need one. Also, if you have good skin, you really shouldn't need one. I could see it maybe being useful if you don't have smooth, supple skin. But Paula no longer owns a majority of stake in her company and is no longer the CEO so she isn't calling the shots. If the new owners identify certain products as being hot items in the market ,of course they will make them. Eye creams and primers are "hot" items. Women seem to really think they need these things, especially eye creams even though you can use most of your regular skincare around your eyes and shouldn't need a seperate one. But since women spend tons of money on eye creams, of course they are going to creat one, regardless of what Paula feels about them. They are tapping into that high $$$ niche.

Respected Contributor

I agree with @henderson.  I love PC and think it is a great company with great products.  That being said, the prices have really gone up.  There is a lot of competition out there for the same type products, and thanks to posters, I have found good substitutes for PC items I formerly purchased.  I love the Timeless Vitamin C serum, which with a coupon code available from the blogger Hot & Flashy,  comes out to $19.99 w/free shipping and no tax.  I am also liking several products from The Ordinary, which are a steal compared to PC and do the same thing.  What I haven't found a substitute for is the PC Resist Toner (love, love, love...so soothing!) and the PC Skin Recovery Moisturizer w/30 SPF.   It's a tad shiny but works well under my makeup.

I am currently using the PC 1% retinol and am not a fan.  I'm not using it on my neck or chest, but I'm not a fan of the smell or consistency.  I have used it for months and am only now up to using it every other night.  Up until now, it caused so much flaking!  The Ordinary Natural Moisturizing Factors pretty well stopped the flaking...much better than my PC Resist moisturizer did, so I am glad I tried it.

I have large pores, fine lines, and sun spots.  I disagree with the comment that the right foundation shouldn't need a primer.  This poster obviously does not have large pores!  Mineral foundations don't cover well enough, and liquid will show every wrinkle and pore without primer.  I am currently using a cheap primer...Rimmel Fix and Protect Pro (around $7 at Wal-Mart for 1 ounce), and it works quite well.  I found out about this primer from Angie of Hot & Flashy.  Since my moisturizer and make-up have sunscreen, I have no interest in PC's primer esp. at $30 an ounce!

Esteemed Contributor

Although I love how my skin looks with PC products I am going to switch my night time routine when they are gone. I have had two pumps break on the intensive retinol serum. I got a free replacement but now that pump won't twist down. I agree the toner is really good. I will keep using that. Probably will keep using the 10% aha. But on the serum bottles I am tired of them breaking and you can't see how much is left. I like the super antioxident serum in the tube. But I got a sample of the bye bye lines serum and love it. Will be buying that next.
Honored Contributor

@RipleyGirl wrote:

Don't get me wrong, there are some great PC products (I really love the toners but can't use retinol). Primers are another product that, in the past, Paula has said are unnecessary (along with eye creams). 

Lots of things things are unnecessary, but that doesn't mean they're not useful or effective or that people don't want them. Every bit of makeup you own, for example, is completely unnecessary. Your skin does not need it to be healthy, so it's nice to have, not need to have.

Primers are nice to have because they can smooth the look of pores, reduce shine, and make makeup last longer. It's smart business to add one to her line and she made one with a sunscreen. Primers aren't necessary for skin health, but sunscreens are. If you use it as sunscreen, the primer is a bonus. Most primers on the market don't have sunscreen and are an extra step, extra layer, and extra cost for a second product. If I can buy one necessary product and get the added functionality of a nice to have product included, that sounds good to me.

Super Contributor

Primers are nice to have because they can smooth the look of pores, reduce shine, and make makeup last longer. It's smart business to add one to her line and she made one with a sunscreen. Primers aren't necessary for skin health, but sunscreens are. If you use it as sunscreen, the primer is a bonus. Most primers on the market don't have sunscreen and are an extra step, extra layer, and extra cost for a second product. If I can buy one necessary product and get the added functionality of a nice to have product included, that sounds good to me.

Lots of things things are unnecessary, but that doesn't mean they're not useful or effective or that people don't want them. Every bit of makeup you own, for example, is completely unnecessary. Your skin does not need it to be healthy, so it's nice to have, not need to have.

I don't think I explained myself very well. I have nothing against primers and I think my DH would agree that I have many items rolling around in my cosmetics drawer that I really don't need, but like all the same. I just have very conflicted feeling about Paula Begoun and the way her company has evolved.