Respected Contributor

Re: Speaking of manicures, don't get overzealous with the Emjoi

@juperier wrote:

@KentuckyWoman The thing to remember is that whatever is filed off is gone forever. Unless the matrix is damaged, new growth will be the normal thickness. But it takes months for the new growthh to reach the tip.

I've never used TIPS (which is promoted as a "conditioner"). But I did learn the hard way that there's a reason the products sold as hardereners/strengtheners instruct you to only use them for a certain amount of time. If your nails get too "strong" they also tend to become brittle and the free edge breaks much more easily. 

I've come to the conclusion that I'm always going to have a nail or two that is peeling. But mine are to the point that I sometimes file the peeling spots a bit to smooth them as @ChynnaBlue mentioned. Luckily I like my nails relatively short and don't have near the problem of chunks of nail peeling off (taking the polish on top with it) that I used to. It helps to seal the tips, avoid water contact and use lots of cuticle oil.

I have two nails that no matter what I do they peel.  I too keep my nails short and polished.  I use Sally Hansen Vitamin E cuticle oil several times a day and it helps.  I need a good cuticle remover but haven't found one yet.

Respected Contributor

Re: Speaking of manicures, don't get overzealous with the Emjoi

@KentuckyWoman wrote:

@juperier wrote:

@KentuckyWoman The thing to remember is that whatever is filed off is gone forever. Unless the matrix is damaged, new growth will be the normal thickness. But it takes months for the new growthh to reach the tip.

I've never used TIPS (which is promoted as a "conditioner"). But I did learn the hard way that there's a reason the products sold as hardereners/strengtheners instruct you to only use them for a certain amount of time. If your nails get too "strong" they also tend to become brittle and the free edge breaks much more easily. 

I've come to the conclusion that I'm always going to have a nail or two that is peeling. But mine are to the point that I sometimes file the peeling spots a bit to smooth them as @ChynnaBlue mentioned. Luckily I like my nails relatively short and don't have near the problem of chunks of nail peeling off (taking the polish on top with it) that I used to. It helps to seal the tips, avoid water contact and use lots of cuticle oil.

I have two nails that no matter what I do they peel.  I too keep my nails short and polished.  I use Sally Hansen Vitamin E cuticle oil several times a day and it helps.  I need a good cuticle remover but haven't found one yet.

I helped my son move this weekend. My nails are destroyed. Back to square 1. Ugh! Never again@!!!!