Esteemed Contributor

Re: Speaking about tipping hairdressers--holiday gifts?

@shoekitty wrote:

Unless you have a really long, or close relationship with your stylist I wouldn't feel bad not gifting.  Maybe an extra 20 bucks with the tip is appreciated.  I am also assuming one is tipping their stylist all year.  I haven't gone to the salon in 17 years, but when I did, I brought her a gift of those vintage little fish they used to put on bathroom walls.  The cute tacky ones?  She collected them, and I saw one in a thrift shop and put it away for Christmas.  She was so thrilled, really!  I think I paid nine dollars.  They are just near impossible to find!

They are like most businesses during the holidays.  They get tons of cookies, breads, fruitcakes, and cookies.  Especially candy.  If one really wants to gift them during the holidays a Starbucks card, iTunes card, or a card for a meal where they love to eat.  If you know them well enough you know all these things.

@shoekitty that's exactly what I do. I've gone to the same hairdresser for years and I give her a gift card to a restaurant for Christmas. That way she can share with her husband. 

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Honored Contributor

@shoesnbags

It is a great gift IMO.  Nothing nicer than a gifted meal when you are tired, or just want to get out.  I sure appreciate gifts like that.  I pretty much can buy what I want, and I am purging my home and closets ...don't need anything. But I love getting a card for a meal at my favorite place.  I ask the kids to do that for us for Christmas and Birthdays.  We really enjoy free sushi, LOL!

Honored Contributor

If  a holiday gift is given out of obligation then it's not done because you really want to so why do it??  I gift my stylist money because she is great and always goes above and beyond to accomadate me as well as all her customers.  Many will only do this for those customers who tip well and gift at .  I have heard some stylists reschedule appointments of those who do not tip to  accomodate their tipping customers.

Esteemed Contributor

@dc2004 wrote:

I usually tip a little extra right before the holidays- maybe 35 or 40%.  I get color done around this time, so I think it's generous.  She does a great job.

This is what I do too....

Honored Contributor

I think that if you have a long relationship with your stylist and they get you in the schedule when you really need an appointment, then giving a a gift or upping the tip at the end of the year is a nice idea.

Trusted Contributor

I think it is interesting to read the replies to see what everyone does and what they think on the topic.  thanks for your opinions.  I guess there is no right or wrong.

my hairdresser will continue to get a healthy tip every time I go but no holiday gift.  My cleaning lady does not get a tip so I am always generous during the holidays.  I also tip the UPS guy and the mailman and bring in box of chocolates to the girls at the bank.

My financial advisor thanks ME for my business every year wih a card of what a valued client I am and a gift certificate to a nice restaurant.  Now that I think of it,  I may be paying my hairdresser more over the course of the year....hmmm....

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I do things backwards, I guess.  I do not tip my nail lady or hairdresser, but I do get them a nice gift at Christmas ($35 range.)

Oh, as far as giving food items goes, I always think of my husband, a school teacher for many years before he retired.  He used to receive lots of food items, homemade or not, from kids and he would trash it all.  I used to give him a hard time about it and he said after an incident that happened many years ago at his school where a teen put ex-lax in some brownies she made for a teacher, he refused to eat any of it, even if it was prepackaged candy. 

Respected Contributor

No gift from me.  I jget my hair cut every 4 - 6 weeks and the cost is $55.  I tip 20% each time but I don't feel it's necessary to add a Christmas gift. 

Respected Contributor

I usually just tip my hairdresser extra for the holidays. She appreciates the extra cash. I tip well so she is always grateful. She works hard. Although the prices in the salon are crazy high, she does a great job. 

Respected Contributor

@Shogirl wrote:

I do things backwards, I guess.  I do not tip my nail lady or hairdresser, but I do get them a nice gift at Christmas ($35 range.)

Oh, as far as giving food items goes, I always think of my husband, a school teacher for many years before he retired.  He used to receive lots of food items, homemade or not, from kids and he would trash it all.  I used to give him a hard time about it and he said after an incident that happened many years ago at his school where a teen put ex-lax in some brownies she made for a teacher, he refused to eat any of it, even if it was prepackaged candy. 

Another issue with giving foods items is not knowing what foods people can and cannot eat. My mom is diabetic and people give her candy at work. I would not want to give a gift of nuts to someone with an allergy or ham to someone who keeps kosher.