Trusted Contributor

Speaking about tipping hairdressers--holiday gifts?

[ Edited ]

I pay almost $200 for a cut and color and add a $40 tip every six weeks.  I used to give my stylist a holiday gift but when I switched salons after he moved out of state, I stopped.  Someone on the boards many yearss ago mentioned that as clients, we should be the ones getting holiday gifts.  I thought about it and decided she was right.  When I got a new stylist, I stopped.  While I do not get a gift, I no longer give one either.  How about you?

Honored Contributor

Re: Speaking about tipping hairdressers-- what do you do about holiday gifts?

I do believe in tipping for regular salon services, but there is no obligation to give the stylist a holiday gift.  I don't believe there's an obligation on the stylist's part to give gifts to the  clients.  That would be a huge expense for them.  IMO, that would be something a shop owner might consider doing.    

Super Contributor

I pay $100 every four weeks for a cut and color and add a $20 tip to that. I give a small gift at Christmas, like candy and a notepad. I think I give enough in the way of tips that I do not need to give a gift card or monetary gift. I, also, do not receive any kind of gift at Christmas, either.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Speaking about tipping hairdressers--holiday gifts?

Me too - paid it today - a $20 tip and don't give a gift at Christmas and don't get one either. I figure a good tip all year long is enough.
Respected Contributor

I dont' pay that much for my visits to the salon.  I pay $75 every four weeks for color, trim and style.  I tip 20%.  She gives little samples of hair and skin products to her clients.  I make homemade candy at Christmas and usually take her a small Christmas tin filled with her favorites.  No cash or gift cards.

Super Contributor

I usually tip a little extra right before the holidays- maybe 35 or 40%.  I get color done around this time, so I think it's generous.  She does a great job.

Frequent Contributor

This is something that makes me uncomfortable too.  My stylist has given me gifts in the past: gift cards for local restaurants, or a bottle of wine, and I used to give her a double tip at the holidays.  I finally decided that since I tip very well all year I don't need to double tip for holidays, and she has stopped giving gifts too so it's all good and I think we have an (unspoken) understanding.  Many of her clients give her homemade goodies and she told me in confidence that they throw them all out.  

I used to go to a salon where there was a no tipping policy and I thought that was great.

Respected Contributor

Some salons put food out during Christmas week.

Trusted Contributor

yes, I give my hair stylist a holiday gift Smiley Happy  and I've given him a "just because" gifts too

live....laugh....love
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Unless you have a really long, or close relationship with your stylist I wouldn't feel bad not gifting.  Maybe an extra 20 bucks with the tip is appreciated.  I am also assuming one is tipping their stylist all year.  I haven't gone to the salon in 17 years, but when I did, I brought her a gift of those vintage little fish they used to put on bathroom walls.  The cute tacky ones?  She collected them, and I saw one in a thrift shop and put it away for Christmas.  She was so thrilled, really!  I think I paid nine dollars.  They are just near impossible to find!

They are like most businesses during the holidays.  They get tons of cookies, breads, fruitcakes, and cookies.  Especially candy.  If one really wants to gift them during the holidays a Starbucks card, iTunes card, or a card for a meal where they love to eat.  If you know them well enough you know all these things.