Valued Contributor

Spa-Rific laser etched glass nail files

QVC recently had this set (2 nail files and a foot file) on as a TSV. Could any of you who own this brand of glass files tell me if you have any trouble using the smaller nail files on your fingernails. I seem to be having issues with using them. I don't know if it's just me not using them correctly or if the problem is with the files themselves.

Don't really know how to describe my problem, but when I try to shape my nails, the file keeps losing contact with my nails. It's like it just kind of slides off. Can't really think of how to explain exactly what I'm talking about--I just can't seem to work with these very easily. You're also supposed to be able to buff your nails. but I'm also having trouble doing that. The problem is, no doubt, all to do with me and how I'm using them, but thought I'd check to see if I'm the only one or not. Thanks.

Trusted Contributor

Re: Spa-Rific laser etched glass nail files

@qualityshopper wrote:

QVC recently had this set (2 nail files and a foot file) on as a TSV. Could any of you who own this brand of glass files tell me if you have any trouble using the smaller nail files on your fingernails. I seem to be having issues with using them. I don't know if it's just me not using them correctly or if the problem is with the files themselves.

Don't really know how to describe my problem, but when I try to shape my nails, the file keeps losing contact with my nails. It's like it just kind of slides off. Can't really think of how to explain exactly what I'm talking about--I just can't seem to work with these very easily. You're also supposed to be able to buff your nails. but I'm also having trouble doing that. The problem is, no doubt, all to do with me and how I'm using them, but thought I'd check to see if I'm the only one or not. Thanks.

Have you tried looking at the presentation video? Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

I thought this tsv was a tad pricey for what it was so I bought a set of three glass files on Amazon Prime for $3.99, no shipping.  They work very well.

Honored Contributor

@patbz 

I bought my glass nail files (2 sizes) decades ago at Drug Emporium (before Amazon was a thing).  Far as I can tell, they're just as good as the day I bought them.  Do they last forever?

To the OP, I'm sorry you're having technical difficulties with yours Smiley Sad

Trusted Contributor

@qualityshopper wrote:

@qualityshopper 

These files are one of the best things I have ever gotten from QVC. I really love them. And no, they are not like regular glass files. 

I do hold this nail file differently. With emery boards or metal or regular glass files, I hold it at an oblique angle to my nails, kind of tucked under the nail. But with these laser glass files, I hold it at right angle to my nail. If that makes sense. You're right, it's hard to describe. And it's really effective to file back and forth, while with other files you have to go in one direction. 

The ends of my nails are smooth as silk now. They don't tear or snag. About 20 seconds a day keeps them perfect. 

However, I personally don't recommend buffing with this file, no matter what the qvc presenters say. Or at least, not more than once a month. Oh, you can get a beautiful shine, but this file is so effective, it will take too much off before you know it. If you do it often it will really thin the nail. Scary. 

Hope that awkward explanation helps a little!

Super Contributor

@patbz, I also bought a set of beautiful glass files on Amazon for $10-12. I wanted to try the foot file on the Q, but agree the set was overpriced and canceled my order. I do have a pedicure every 3 weeks (I am diabetic and have to watch the feet) and there’s no reason I can’t use my battery-powered pedi roller between pedicures if there are some rough edges. Just lazy! I do like the glass nail files better than emery boards or what they call padded salon boards, smooth on one side, grittier on the other. Every once in awhile I need to smooth a corner of my nail or even a hangnail (I have gel manicure over very thin acrylic) and find the glass files very gentle.
Super Contributor

P.S. Just to clarify,I have had no problems with the small (pointed end) glass files, but I am not using the QVC brand.
Valued Contributor

Thanks everyone for getting back with me.

@RealtyGal2 --Of course I checked out the presentations before coming on here. It didn't really help. They mostly concentrated on how to use the big file for taking off dead skin on your feet and using the small ones for buffing--not really anything concerning shaping.

@KaySD --Thanks for your explanation on how to try and use these. I love glass files, in particular an old set I got years ago from here. But these new ones seem to be quite different in shape and size from my previous ones. I never had trouble using the old ones, so I was surprised to find that the new ones are giving me problems.

I'll try some more with these before my 30 days are up, but I think I might end up doing what some of you have suggested--try a different, cheaper brand from elsewhere. Thanks again for your help.

Valued Contributor

I also bought mine from Amazon at a much cheaper price.  I haven't had any trouble "learning" to use mine.  I use them like I did my old emery boards.

Respected Contributor

Mine is still in transit (14 days) and still waiting.  When it comes I will try it out on my nails and post a review on this thread.