Respected Contributor

Sore Ears from Earrings.

[ Edited ]

Everytime I try and wear earrings in my pierced ears they hurt.  I have had pierced ears for a long time.  Used to be able to wear any earrings, even cheap ones.

Now even my little diamond earrings hurt my ears. It is a bummer not to be able to wear them.

Sometimes they hurt even after I just put them in my ears. Sometimes it takes longer. 

I even tried ones that said for sensitive ears. Same deal.

I need some advice and help if possible here!  Smiley Very Happy

Honored Contributor

Re: Sore Ears from Earrings.

@FlowerBear wrote:

Everytime I try and wear earrings in my pierced ears they hurt.  I have had pierced ears for a long time.  Used to be able to wear any earrings, even cheap ones.

Now even my little diamond earrings hurt my ears. It is a bummer not to be able to wear them.

Sometimes they hurt even after I just put them in my ears. Sometimes it takes longer. 

@FlowerBearhurt, as in an ache of some kind, or more like an irritation to the skin?  Achiness may come from wearing something too heavy.  If your skin is irritated, you may be alergic.  I have a nickel allergy so I have to watch what I wear in my ears.  14 kt gold is best, but if I wear cheap they have to be labeled hypoalergenic or that the posts are made with surgical steel.  Stainless is usually OK too.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

well hard to explain but just hurt the entire ear lobe where the earring hole is !  crazy!

i dont even wear any heavy earrings anymore, only small ones like small diamond or gold balls.

cant wear any at this time!  Smiley Sad

if i wear them even though they hurt, when i take them off, wow my ear lobes hurt for hours!

Honored Contributor

I bought a pair of self-piercing earrings and pierced my own ears back in 1972 right after I graduated high school. I've never had a problem. But I don't wear heavy earrings, never have. I tend to buy and wear only pure metals when it comes to earrings. Woman Happy

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

@FlowerBear wrote:

@FlowerBear  If the lobe itself develops redness or irritation, you may have become allergic to metal. Try coating the post, where post is attached and the butterfly clutch w/ several coats of clear nail polish, so no exposed metal touches your ear...let dry between coats. Also put polysporin on post/wire before inserting earring. If it continues, I’d check with a derm. There may be a slight infection inside the ear piercing.

Honored Contributor

If they contain nickel you might have an allergy to that.  I do.  Also you may have developed an allergy to metals?  Can you still wear other jewelry with no problems?

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Valued Contributor

I’ve had pierced ears for many, many years, but noticed soreness when wearing certain posts.  Came to the conclusion I’d been only wearing wires which are narrower and when I wore posts, which have a larger circumference, they made my earlobes ache.  I had to get used to them again.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

As we age there is loss of collagen and fat cells from every part on the body, including ear lobes. So what happens is the ear lobe becomes thinner with less structure and when you wear earrings the nerve endings become overly stimulated because there is not enough tissue surrounding them leading to discomfort and pain. 

Try using those sticky things you place on the back of the ear lobe to get the support and avoid any kind of pulling.

I love to wear earrings. I had 'ear lobe rejuvenation' (w/o fillers) with a laser done by a derm. That gave me back smaller piercings and plumper lobes. Before that I was having a lot a pain and my piercings looked awfully stretched out that I didn't even want to wear earrings at all.

Respected Contributor

@FlowerBear  Sometimes, my ears will get sore out of the blue from wearing earrings. I put alcohol on a cotton ball and swipe it on my ear. I do this several times during a three or four hour period and the problem always goes away.

Perhaps this will help.....hope so.

Respected Contributor

Do you have a pair of 14k gold?  If you are allergic to nickel, those might work for you.  

I can only wear 14k gold and even the hypoallergenic ones bother me when wearing.  It's too bad because there are a lot of cute earrings I cannot wear.