Respected Contributor

Re: Someone please explain FENTY tome

@gertrudecloset Mac has 63 shades in their Studio Fix Fluid Foundation. 53 shades in the Studio Fix Powder Foundation. 

Mac has always had a pretty extensive range in foundations.

Maybelline has 40 shades in some foundations.

Make Up For Ever has 50 shades.

I don't know who did it first, maybe it is Fenty, but there are a lot of choices out there, so we should all be able to find our best foundation color/formula in some brand!

Respected Contributor

It’s not just foundation. It can be hard to find appropriate blush, bronzer, and eye brow products can be difficult for deeper skin tones.

Look at make up advertising prior to Fenty’s launch in fall 2017 and look at them now. Advertising is much more inclusive. While that wasn’t necessarily all Fenty’s doing, almost all advertising is more inclusive now than it was a few years ago, I think what Fenty has done is influencing the industry. It’s not the first line by a woman of color to address the lack inclusivity, when the brand launched, there was a giant gaping hole of higher end cosmetics for persons of color.
Honored Contributor

The big jump in inclusivity of makeup and advertising that I noticed was after the murder of George Floyd.  Even to how makeup colors are shown on website.  For instance instead of starting with the lightest color and getting deeper, now it's the deepest shades first.  

Esteemed Contributor

@monicakm wrote:

The big jump in inclusivity of makeup and advertising that I noticed was after the murder of George Floyd.  Even to how makeup colors are shown on website.  For instance instead of starting with the lightest color and getting deeper, now it's the deepest shades first.  

I thought I woud add that Rihanna launched the Fenty beauty line in September 2017, and the George Floyd murder was in May 2020, almost 3 years later, and there is no connection between the 2 events.

Fenty's initial drop included 40 shades of foundation, 10 shades of Match Stix (crayon highlighters), shimmery blush compacts, and Gloss Bomb lip glosses, among other things.  All in shades not offered by other brands.

Esteemed Contributor

@Dusty1 wrote:

@gertrudecloset Mac has 63 shades in their Studio Fix Fluid Foundation. 53 shades in the Studio Fix Powder Foundation. 

Mac has always had a pretty extensive range in foundations.

Maybelline has 40 shades in some foundations.

Make Up For Ever has 50 shades.

I don't know who did it first, maybe it is Fenty, but there are a lot of choices out there, so we should all be able to find our best foundation color/formula in some brand!

@Dusty1you are soooooo right.  I did not consider that MAC might have stepped up its inclusivity efforts since I used to wear them.  I was an avid wearer.  Used to get it in a MAC Store or Macys.  They didn't have fluid when I was using it either.  They had two compacts though. 

I checked out their website and in at least three of their offerings both liquid and compact they have a boat load of colors.  It's been years.  I stopped using it because I had to reapply so oftend during the day. 

YOU ARE RIGHT.  Thanks for correcting me!!!!  I would not have known this unless you corrected me (which made me go to their website).

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Respected Contributor

@gertrudecloset I wasn't meaning to "correct" you, but I love Mac! Not every thing they make, but most everything. It makes up most of my collection.

I do love the quality of Fenty & I hope they continue to expand the line. 

Honored Contributor

@NYCLatinaMe 

I'm sorry if I said something to make you think I was tying together George Floyd and Rhianna's launch of her shade range.  I was just saying that it was after Floyd's murder when I started noticing a big surge in inclusivity and the way brands arranged their products in shades of dark to light vs light to dark.

Esteemed Contributor

@Dusty1 wrote:

@gertrudecloset I wasn't meaning to "correct" you, but I love Mac! Not every thing they make, but most everything. It makes up most of my collection.

I do love the quality of Fenty & I hope they continue to expand the line. 

@Dusty1it's no big deal.   What I thought about these product offerings was not accurate.  With your input, I found out for myself that what I thought ain't true.  I was misinformed.  That's not a crime, nor is it something to be ashamed of.  Don't worry about "correcting me."  I don't look at it like that.  I don't know why some become offended though, I do not.

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Respected Contributor

I own the Fenty cream bronzer and 2 Gloss Bombs and I really like all 3 products. The cream bronzer blends really well. Her Gloss Bombs are so pretty on the lips and the smell like Fruity Pebbles which I love. 

Honored Contributor

@wvumountiefan 

I have on her cream bronzer today.  At first I put it aside after trying it and used a powdered bronzer.  I've since figured out "cream" bronzer and love it!  Used the Huda NYMPH Kiss Glow Blush as a highlighter.