Honored Contributor

Re: Some say it's not necessary to use special eye creams, what do you think?

I have been having terrible problems with eye creams too. I use them 2x a day and they made  for the eye area. Got Perliers black rice  eye serum and each time I've used it, my eyes water and burn ,so back it goes. I do think you need something for that area, as I have very dry skin and my eyes get flaky if I don't use something.   I also make sure I don't apply too close to the lash line. This problem includes some eye concealers too---what gives???

Respected Contributor

Paula's Choice makes an eye cream and an eye gel.  Her formulas are usually very well tolerated, with no irritating ingredients and no fragrance.

I've only tried the cream and it worked well, but the gel might even be better for sensitive eyes.

Esteemed Contributor

I do believe that you need a n eye cream because that skin is very thin and prone to more issues. Since I'm 50 plus I need eye more than ever. I have always had allergies and skin sensitivies, dark circles and puffiness. I have tried so many lotions and potions for that area but finally found my solution with the Dr. Denese skincare products. Here's my list of what has worked for me over the years:

Dr. Denese Eye Fixer Upper duo (top & bottom---can be purchased together or individual)

Dr. Denese MD33EYE --(for the entire eye area)

Dr. Denese --Hyrdorshield --there are specific eye products in the hydrosheild line but I just use a few drops of the regular hrydroshield and I get relief from dryness, flaky skin, etc. If you have a firmness issue then you will need another product for that issue.

I have multiple issues with my skin so over the years I have learned to rotate a few products depending on the season and the issue that I'm having. My skin and especially my eye area have greatly improved with Dr.Denese products. I won't use anything else. They work for me so I hope they work for you.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

I agree....not necessary. I've always used the same skincare around my eyes as the rest of my face and have never had an issue with my eyes, clogged pores, puffiness or irritation.  Maybe that is because the skincare I use doesn't have any irritants in it to begin with...who knows...but I don't feel it is necessary to spend more money on an additional product when what I am already using works well.

From what I read, the skin around the eyes is not different like so many people claim or believe, but seems to be thinner because there is less fat underneath it than the rest of your skin (and we lose more fat as we age, hence it appearing more and more thin), making it appear so. It also wrinkles more because of how often we use our eyes for expressions. After repeated use, things start to break down...simply a fact of life.

Honored Contributor

@AngelPuppy1   the only time I use an eye is when I receive a sample.  Did you know that Vaseline makes the skin taut under the eye?  Place some Vaseline under the eye but wipe most off at bedtime.  Also, Acure Organics has different collections and one is for sensitive skin.  check it out.  Their prices are very reasonable and they have eye creams.  I only use my oils or night moisturizer.  Cat Happy

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

I use Avon's Anew Dual Eye cream.  I have puffy "allergy eyes."  Works great.  

If I didn't need it, I wouldn't use it.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Katcat1

Exactly what I was going to suggest! But not for tautness - for healing!

Before you go exploring into eye creams, facial moisturizers & things, you need to get your eye area healed.

But...

I not only use all my regular skin care things (retinol in p.m. & L-ascorbic acid & AHAs in a.m.) around my eyes & neck, but I also like extra support with eye serums & cream. Then again, I am not sensitive to anything.

That's not to say, though, that what I use or do will work for anyone else. But, my extra eye care has given me the smoothest, tautest eye area for one of 64. As soon as I wake up, I dab on a serum....then a bit later do my face (and eye) care, and the last thing I do after a bit of color cosmetics, dab on one more bit of eye serum for even more protection.

Honored Contributor

I don't use a special product for eyes or a special product for the neck.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

The skin on the eyelids really is the thinnest on your whole body.

http://www.actforlibraries.org/the-thickest-and-thinnest-skin-on-the-body/

Considering how often we blink and close and move our eyes, the skin there needs to be extra thin and flexible so that we don't accidentally dent and harm our eyes via pressure or friction. The fact that it covers the eye socket area is different as well. Not to sound yucky or scary, but those are two holes in the facial structure. The rest of the skin lays nicely on muscle on bone. The eye area is filled with muscle and again, kind of gross but the organ of the eyes.

It's a weak point in the facial structure, and an easy place for fluid to gather. It's also sensitive in a way other parts of the face aren't. Anything in your eye product will get onto the surface of your eye and generally get into your tear duct. Some ingredients start to give you dry eye by getting into the duct, which ironically can make you teary.

Some regular face products work great on the eye area. And some eye products irritate the heck out of the eyes even though on paper, based on the ingredients they shouldn't.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

I use my usual moisturizer Ponds.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)