Valued Contributor

Re: Some say it's not necessary to use special eye creams, what do you think?

I’m an RN and before I have had about 10 years of dermatology experience. With that said, this is just my opinion from my experiences with patients, myself & my daughter. Eye creams are pretty much essential. There aren’t any of the sebum producing pores, on the eyelid& only a minimal amount under the eye. Not everyone will get the same results from a particular brand. It’s trial & error. And, you may have had an allergic reaction to the eye cream you had to one of the ingredients in the cream that irritated you. If you still have it, take a photo with your phone & keep it to check compare ingredients to other brands.
For years I used either Clinique or Origins. As I’ve gotten older, I’ve found I need more of a treatment eye cream. I now use Dr. Denese’s eye cream that was in her last TSV, it’s a light gold gel. I also use Philosophy’s “Hope in a Tube”. I’ve used it before it was even on QVC. I found Philosophy whilst on holiday in a department store, years & years ago. I’ve used many of their products for years; and will never give it up!
That’s what works for me. I’m 58 & unless I put a ton of concealer on w/o a moisturiser, I don’t have noticeable crows feet. I need to use a concealer as the only thing I inherited skin wise from my Italian Dad is dark circles!!!
My daughter uses Clinique or Nuetrogena. She’s only 30 but, I’ve taught her that what she does now will effect how she looks in 20 years.
My only other advise would be not to get caught up in a super expensive brand from a derms office or spa. They are marked up to the heavens! There are good products at every price point. Target has a lot of great brands if you want to try a few ingredients. They even have Boots & #7 from England!
Hope that helps!
Valued Contributor

I meant to say “before I had to retire early due to health issues”. Sorry for the grammatical error! I usually proofread my posts. This one got by me.
Respected Contributor

I think eye creams is a gimmic.  I  use  vitamin c serum  on my eyes and face and works well. I stopped useing creams all together. Marshalls  has good prices on it.  Only eye thing I feel  truely works is the rollerball thing from garnier. I can actually see bags shrink

Honored Contributor

I was trying to use eye shadow the other day --- something I don't do very often these days --- and looked in the magnifying mirror and was shocked by what I saw!  My lids appeared all flaky and dry!  Anyone have this problem?  

I never had this issue before.  My whole life I had oily lids and always had trouble with eye shadow staying on and not creasing.  So, I guess this is another age symptom to deal with!

As I wrote earlier in this topic, I had been having problems with irritation, itching, redness, eyes watering, etc.  But my eye lids were not really bothering me --- or so I thought.

I think the majority of my problem was some sort of allergies.  I started using Flonase and also found another eye cream from L'Oreal and so far, things are much better!

Do any of you have issues with dry eye lids?  If so, what do you do?  I mean, I know you have to watch how and where you apply eye creams,etc.  Is it just a matter of using an eye lid primer?  Or using a cream shadow instead of powder?

You think you get a problem fixed and then another crops up!

Thanks!!! 

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

@AngelPuppy1wrote:

I was trying to use eye shadow the other day --- something I don't do very often these days --- and looked in the magnifying mirror and was shocked by what I saw!  My lids appeared all flaky and dry!  Anyone have this problem?  

I never had this issue before.  My whole life I had oily lids and always had trouble with eye shadow staying on and not creasing.  So, I guess this is another age symptom to deal with!

As I wrote earlier in this topic, I had been having problems with irritation, itching, redness, eyes watering, etc.  But my eye lids were not really bothering me --- or so I thought.

I think the majority of my problem was some sort of allergies.  I started using Flonase and also found another eye cream from L'Oreal and so far, things are much better!

Do any of you have issues with dry eye lids?  If so, what do you do?  I mean, I know you have to watch how and where you apply eye creams,etc.  Is it just a matter of using an eye lid primer?  Or using a cream shadow instead of powder?

Thanks!!! 

@AngelPuppy1  You may want to try Isomers Eye Lid Exfoliator.  For the most part, I've been disappointed with Isomers products.  Sometimes they'd look promising and I'd think I was seeing benefits but long term I've had little success.  I've given up on the line with the exception of the eye lid exfoliator.  It's a gel and you don't need very much.  Just apply, let it sit there for a couple of minutes, and wipe off with a tissue or damp cloth.  This will help get any dead surface stuff off and allow whatever treatment you choose to penetrate better.  It will also help to create a smoother surface for your primer and shadows.  That said, some medications can make you dry and thirsty so amp up your water comsumption too.

Esteemed Contributor

@Stevie Nixwrote:

@AngelPuppy1  - I believe that special eye cream is essential.  What brands have NOT worked for you?  Neutrogena Hydro Boost Eye Gel is a good one.

Hi @Stevie Nix .....  I started using the Neutrogena Hydro Boost Eye Gel a few weeks ago.  I really like it!

Honored Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinchwrote:

@AngelPuppy1wrote:

Thanks!!! 

@AngelPuppy1  You may want to try Isomers Eye Lid Exfoliator.  For the most part, I've been disappointed with Isomers products.  Sometimes they'd look promising and I'd think I was seeing benefits but long term I've had little success.  I've given up on the line with the exception of the eye lid exfoliator.  It's a gel and you don't need very much.  Just apply, let it sit there for a couple of minutes, and wipe off with a tissue or damp cloth.  This will help get any dead surface stuff off and allow whatever treatment you choose to penetrate better.  It will also help to create a smoother surface for your primer and shadows.  That said, some medications can make you dry and thirsty so amp up your water comsumption too.

@JeanLouiseFinch

Thank you!  I don't know what is causing it.  I just figured since everything is getting dryer on me with age, that's probably what it is.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Super Contributor

I'm not using an eye cream, just my facial skincare, but I liked 100% Pure's caffeine eye cream, it felt nice.

If a separate eyecream is not needed (don't know if it is or not),  I wonder if a separate neck cream is necessary as well or why not just use what you use on face.

New Contributor

I always wondered if the moisturizer would be sufficient. I am still debating. I am still using eye cream. 

Trusted Contributor

@AngelPuppy1,

Had a similar issue and moisturizer works fine for me 🌻