Super Contributor

Some people just love fragrance

My dad loves cologne. He has always been the type that enjoys wearing cologne. My mom is the opposite. She is "sensitive." I always have felt bad for my dad because she nags him whenever he wears it. He tries to be conscientious and only apply it after he leaves in the morning before work but sometimes she will still nag him about it when he gets home at night if there is a little remainder of a scent left. He does not over apply.

My philosophy is that if you do like it, you should try to be considerate, but at the same time I don't think you should have to totally give up something you love. And if you are fragrance sensitive (but not to the point where it could cause a serious health problem) then you should try to be as respectful and tolerant as you can.

I used to work with an old guy that smelled horrible. I don't think he ever took his really old suits to the cleaner. When he would come into my office I would hold my hand up under my nose (not pinch my nose, just act like i was leaning on my hand.) This really helps block the smell. Just a little tip for those that don't like fragrance. You can't make people do what you want them to, such as wear less fragrance in public places, so you might as well learn ways to be respectful and work around the situation.

I also have noticed that some people have almost a fragrance talent that allows them to pick up every note in a fragrance and identify it. I am totally unable to do this and I think it's awesome that they have this ability. It's like they have super noses. They have a tendency to love fragrance the same way that I love makeup. I can't imagine how I would feel if someone told me I couldn't wear makeup anymore.