Respected Contributor

Re: Some dont want to hear it

@ Montana   that totally sucks for sure!

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@FlowerBear wrote:

It is hard to know what to do about products. You try and do the right thing but then you can be allergic to certain ingredients or they just dont work. What is a person to do??

My advice would be: Get sample or trial sizes of products and try them out. (But obviously, don't pile them all on at once.) Pay close attention to whether your skin feels better or worse after you use them. Keep using products that make you feel and look healthy and stop using anything that doesn't feel right. You don't have to have a "good" reason to stop using a product. It's your face, so you can do whatever you want.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Respected Contributor

@Porcelain   Thank you for the good advice!

Honored Contributor

@Porcelain wrote:

There is a difference between a toxic substance and a substance some people develop an allergy to. My grandmother developed an allergy to strawberries when she got older. Does that make strawberries unsafe?

This subject requires a lot more thought and research than the alarmists give it.

Exactly, @Porcelain . I thought the same thing when reading the posts here. Allergies to ingredients are not fun, but that's a whole different topic from the presumption of toxicity in products.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

Toxic substances are commonly allergenic. An allergic reaction can sometimes happen when toxins are not present but when there is a substance that mimics the toxin (or damaged cellular material present)...the immune system gets confused and starts the inflammation process. In other words, sometimes it's difficult to say whether or not an allergen is a toxin or not and vice versa.