Respected Contributor

I know that many do not want to hear this stuff but it is possible it is true and is not safe!

http://www.chemfreecom.com/how-toxic-are-our-commonly-used-cosmetic-foundations/

Trusted Contributor

Re: Some dont want to hear it

Are you referring to phenoxyethanol or something else?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@FlowerBear 

Thank you for the link.

Honored Contributor

You are right, although it really isn't that I don't want to hear it; it's that I don't trust a site with the name Chemical Free.:-)

And I don't trust a site that points to two purported sources: EWG, an interesting site but one that has its own bias; and another site that my computer won't let me enter (never a good sign).

For those so very concerned about so-called toxicity, I'm sure this is a welcome website. Personally, I don't believe that any skincare or makeup item I use is toxic and will adversely affect my life.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

Who are these people?  Are they selling alternative cosmetics?

With all the various pills and vitamins and other supplements people take directly into their body w/o giving a thought to it ... I can't understand why they'd be worried about cosmetics.

Honored Contributor

You're right. I don't want to hear it. Because, respectfully, it's fake pseudoscience BS. It contributes nothing helpful to the conversation.

Anyone can earnestly tell me the sky is actually orange and I'm a chump for believing otherwise, but that opinion is still completely wrong. I will never want to hear from said "orange sky" conspiracy theorists. (Even if they may be sort of correct twice a day at sunrise and sunset.)

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

Some will fall for this and get all worked up over a minute amount of some substance in makeup/skincare but will use enormous amounts of chemical cleaners in their house or religiously slather sunblock with way more harmful chemicals over their skin daily!    

Honored Contributor

If you feel that you have been harmed by a cosmetic product then you have a right to file a formal complaint with the FDA's cosmetic division.  The FDA is the only authority that can remove a product from being sold in order to protect the general public. 

A person can shout all they want from the highest mountain about how "toxic" a cosmetic might be. But if that can't be scientifically proven then there's no reason to cause alarm.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I did not read about it, but found out from personal experience that I am probably allergic to phenoxyethanol. I had a bad reaction to a new product I was trying out which contained that ingredient.  None of the other products I use successfully have phenoxyethanol in them.

If was really hard for me to get rid of those allergic bumps. I’m not upset about it, but phenoxyethanol is something I will avoid from now on.

Respected Contributor

I remembered the Peter Thomas Roth 14K Gold Mask broke me out. At the time I was puzzled because I did not  see any problem ingredients.

On a hunch, I just rechecked the ingredient list and it too contains phenoxyethanol. I believe that is why I couldn’t use it.

Still not worked up; will just be vigilant.