Valued Contributor

Re: Solution for brassy hair?

I have the same issue with my hair going brassy after highlights.

Wen's new Indiago purple cleansing conditioner is the best I have tried as others tend to be drying. 

Honored Contributor

@nanny24  I would speak with my hairdresser about what to do.  If she/he dosn't know you don't like this then they can't fix it.  

Honored Contributor

I go to a Kevin Murphy salon. She uses all Kevin Murphy color and hair products. I never have any brassiness to my hair color. I absolutely LOVE using KM products. It smells so nice! Well worth the extra cost. 

"Pure Michigan"
Valued Contributor

Joico purple shampoo

cathy from ma

Frequent Contributor

@nanny24 

I'm no coloring expert but seems your colorist needs to go with colors in "Ash" tones and stay away from golden tones.  Most color does tend to pull to golden/brassy/red tones but when you use Ash it eliminates this.  I'm not sure a shampoo will do that but certainly wouldn't hurt to give it a try.

For example: I color my hair at home with Loreal Paris Excellence Creme (I've used it for years).  I am a medium blonde.  If I buy the color "8 Medium Blonde," my hair comes out looking more golden to slightly reddish.  But if I use the color "7.5A Medium Ash Blonde," my hair has no golden or reddish tones.  I perfer the Ash tones myself as I don't want to be a red-blonde.  Good luck!

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I have the same problem with brassiness but if you are coming out of the salon looking brassy, she is either using the wrong color on you or she needs to put a toner on you to get rid of that.

My hair pulls gold and they have to use a toner on me and leave it on for longer than is usual.  I never leave the salon brassy, she makes sure of that.  However, as I continually shampoo, the brasiness can sometimes start to come back.

The problem with using purple shampoos is they lighten up the other parts of your hair.  I get hilights and low lights.  I use Brass Out Shampoo by Paul Mitchell.  But that will make my hi-lights blonder and it will also make my low lights lighter which I don't want.         

Honored Contributor

I bought three different purple shampoos:  Clairol, Jhirmack and some other that I don't recall the name ... and conditioners.  I alternate.  My hair always works better when I switch shampoos regularly.  I ordered them all from Amazon.  I couldn't find them at CVS or Walgeen's around here.

I've been using a shampoo and conditioner everyday for a couple of weeks to tone down my blonde hair as it move into gray.  You probably won't have to use it everyday.

Valued Contributor

I found out that I can't do any of the warm tones in my hair the hard way.  Last month, we attempted rose gold on my hair.  My colorist mixed mainly pink and purple with a touch of coral and well, I wound up looking like Ronald McDonald.  And trying to get it to a normal color was a challenge.  It was demi-permanent color that was supposed to wash out after 20 washes.  It never totally left my hair.  Last week, it lightened to a "peachberry blonde" shade. 

I opted to bleach my hair last week and add a lavender toner.  I am sorta silvery purple blonde.  It is so much better than what was there previously.

Warm, golden, or orange-red based colors are on my "never again" list.

There should be a toner that your colorist can add to tone down the brassiness.  Good luck.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I just bought Everpure blonde shampoo by L’Oréal that is supposed to get rid of brassiness ...are you supposed to only use it a few times so your hair doesn’t turn purple? I am a true novice at this!

Trusted Contributor

@lovesrecess wrote:

I just bought Everpure blonde shampoo by L’Oréal that is supposed to get rid of brassiness ...are you supposed to only use it a few times so your hair doesn’t turn purple? I am a true novice at this!

Your hair will not “turn purple” no matter how often you use that shampoo. It might get more dry and need conditioner. To prevent that, use the Everpure only a couple of times a week and any other shampoo as,an alternate. Purple shampoo doesn’t make your hair purple, it just cuts the brassy effects. You can use it for years and years, just not recommended for every day. 

See, now you’re not a novice!