Super Contributor

When I go get a color at beauty shop, I have brassy tones for a couple of weeks. My hair has reddish undertones, and it takes a few shampoos to get rid of it. Any suggestions to speed this up?

Respected Contributor

Re: Solution for brassy hair?

I can almost guarantee it is the products used ... I had a long time

hairdresser that rented a chair in a salon .. she had to use the

products the salon bought as the owner had a  contract with a certain

brand .. my friend who still goes to her .. her hair always has a reddish

tint to it .. and the hairdresser told us once that she would switch to

different products if she could ....

Honored Contributor

@nanny24 wrote:

When I go get a color at beauty shop, I have brassy tones for a couple of weeks. My hair has reddish undertones, and it takes a few shampoos to get rid of it. Any suggestions to speed this up?

@nanny24  Have you tried using a purple shampoo, to tone down the brassiness?  You only use it every few shampoos, not with every shampoo.

Regular Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

@nanny24 wrote:

@nanny24  Have you tried using a purple shampoo, to tone down the brassiness?  You only use it every few shampoos, not with every shampoo.

Purple shampoo would be the best suggestion, but like @nanny24 mentioned, you are not supposed to use it with every shampoo nor you are supposed to wash your hair twice with a purple shampoo.  The recommendation is usually to use the purple shampoo for the first wash and then a hydrating shampoo for the second wash.  And don't skip conditioner either.  Purple shampoos are known to be a little bit drying.

If you like Wen cleansing conditioners, Indigo would be a great alternative for you, but again I wouldn't use it on every wash either.

Trusted Contributor

Clairol Shimmer Lights shampoo is purple, but does not add any purple tones. It cuts brassiness for blonde or silver hair or reddish tones. Also good if you swim in a pool and the chlorine affects color treated hair,  or too much time in the sun. All that corrected by this easy to afford shampoo. Leaves in body and manageability.  I’ve bought it at beauty supply shops and Amazon. 

Similar, easier to find product with excellent results is Jhirmack Distinctions Silver Plus.  Developed for silver, blonde and red hair to keep color true. I find that one in CVS and similar stores in the hair care aisle. Very affordable. 

My hair is nearly white and when I use either of these products in the summer, it really gives a pure whiteness and bright silver emphasis that sun, sweat and pool chemicals can undermine. Nice shampoos that do not alter your normal hair washing/conditioning/setting routines. Wash, rinse, repeat and you don’t have to use “purple” every day. 

Hope I’ve  helped. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@nanny24  I own two different shampoos that take out yellow casts.  One is by Aveda called Blue Malva and the other is Shikai for blondes and gray hair and both work.  Now they may have a shampoo for redheads but you will have to do the leg work and search it out.  Also, check out Brass Banisher by L'Oreal.  THey offer several products to get rid of brassiness in 5 minutes.

kindness is strength
Super Contributor

Thanks ladies, we don't have a beauty supply store in my town, but do have a CVS. Will check out your suggestions.

Respected Contributor

My experience has been sort of the opposite of yours in that my hair tends to look brassier the longer I go between colorings.  Because of the xpense I tend to go longer than I should between appointments - usually 10 weeks or so. 

When I mentioned the brassiness she mixed more "ash" tone into the mix.  She also said my gray would not be as noticeable as the hair grows in.  I look forward to the day when I prepare myself to accept myself having a head of all gray hair and not having to color it.  I'm just not there yet. Cat Frustrated

Flowers are nature's way of laughing
Respected Contributor

Nanny24, I don't color my hair any more, but the remnants of my last color tend to turn brassy with any exposure to sunlight.  I am using WEN Indigo cleansing conditioner a couple of times a week to tone it down.  It isn't purple, but dark blue, and is not at all drying to my hair.  Even when the last of my last color job grows out and gets cut off, I'll keep using Indigo because it keeps my increasingly grey hair silvery, not yellowed.  I fight that battle because of how hard our well water is, but if  you live in a city, the chlorine in treated drinking water can also significantly effect your hair color. 

You can get WEN Indigo here from QVC, there's one kit that includes the best lip balm you will ever use, and I think there might be a few other kits it comes in, too.  I hope you love it if you decide to try it.

Honored Contributor

Garnier Nutrisse Nourishing Anti-Brass Treatment.   Walmart, Target & Amazon (and probably more vendors)

♥Surface of the Sun♥