Frequent Contributor

Soaked Off My Acrylics Last Night

Here in CA we have no idea when beauty/nail salons will be open.  After having acrylics for 38 years I soaked them off.  It had been almost six weeks since I last had them done.  It took about an hour but they are off.  They are trimmed very short and filed.  I used 3 coats of Sally Hansen Nail Strenghtner.  It leaves a light "lady like" pink sheen to the nails.  They feel funny since I have been so used to the hardness and support of the acrylic.  I can get used to it.  Once the salons are back open I will go back but for the time being it's OK.  Pedicures are anther story.  I am having some knee and back pain issues which hinders me from trimming my own nails.  Thank goodness I don't wear open toe shoes.

Respected Contributor

Re: Soaked Off My Acrylics Last Night

Just a random thought, but you might want to go with powder next time.  I find that the powder forms a very strong barrier and allows even my weak fragile nails to grow long.   The nail salon will soak it off, and re-apply, so my nails are not naked long enough to break.

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Honored Contributor

@ssfbeagle Oh!  Powders are less prone to the painful cracks as well!

Esteemed Contributor

@ssfbeagle Keeping toe nails trimmed is important.  Even if you don't wear open-toe shoes. They can grow long and press against the inside of the shoe and damage the nailbed.  If you have Medicare I think they cover a periodic podiatrist visit to have the cut. 

Keepin' it real.
Respected Contributor

@ssfbeagle 

At 75, it is very hard to do my own pedicure.  Since I don't want to get any pricks or microscopic cuts by my pedicurist, I cut my own toenails.  Twisting and bending every which way to cut them, I found it went easier if I soaked them for 15 minutes.

When the salon reopens, I will get my usual " finishing " touches which at this age are way beyond me.  Thank goodness the polish lasts a long time !

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill