Super Contributor

So many mascara wands, what to do with them?

I asked the mighty Internet that question yesterday, since I've started to worry more and more about all of the garbage I create. While cutting down on shopping is an option, there does always seem to be more and more packaging, etc.

I found info about the Appalachian Wildlife Refuge "Wands for Wildlife":

https://www.appalachianwild.org/wands-for-wildlife.html

From their site: "Old mascara wands are used to remove fly eggs and larva from the fur of wild animals. They work great because the bristles are close together."

Of course I imagine the wands get thrown out eventually, but if you do have some wands lying around in your drawer, helping baby animals seems a pretty good thing to do with them. Of course, they also have a Wishlist on the site for other items they need.

Respected Contributor

Re: So many mascara wands, what to do with them?

That's nice, thanks.  I will think about washing off wands and saving them up until I have a few to send.

Honored Contributor

@RipleyGirl

Thanks for posting. I’ve never heard of it before. Great cause.

Esteemed Contributor

Thanks, @RipleyGirl -- I've never heard of that before.  Very interesting.  I do save all my mascara brushes because they're useful for tiny cleaning jobs around the house.  Also keep a couple clean ones in my makeup drawer to comb thru my eyebrows and eyelashes to remove clumps.

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Honored Contributor

What a wonderful cause.  Thanks for posting!

Honored Contributor

How have I lived 59 years of my Girl Life and

never heard of cleaning/saving mascara wands? 

🤔

Gosh, even on a good day they were flexible & kinda wonky. 

Never once did I think, ‘I have to wash this & use it for ____.’

Honored Contributor

I read about this recently in a magazine.  I plan to start saving mine.

I most recently had to toss a couple mascaras but didn't save the wands because I tossed due to an eye infection.    

Honored Contributor

I use them to clean my humming bird feeder--you know--those tiny holes in the middle of the flowers---works great. I keep a few for my brows and I like the teeny,tiny, thin bristled ones from IT tightline stuff, for all my mascara as I have skimpy, thin, sparse eyelashes and that one gives me a good look.

Honored Contributor

Interesting reuse. Never even thought of saving them. I’ve always thrown away the wand with the mascara. 

Respected Contributor

@RipleyGirl

Thanks so much for this info.  Perfect timing, too.  Have a few mascaras that just didn't work for me.  Now I don't feel bad throwing them away since a part of them can be repurposed.  

If your face brightens when you meet a friend, you have struck gold. - unknown