Honored Contributor

@wagirl wrote:

First of all, I am so mad that I caved in and bought make up I really didn't need; but on top of that I HAD to pay almost $8 to send it back!!!!! Bought Jay Manuels foundation powder from the H shopping channel  when it was a special value a few days ago and it was horrible----- but it cost almost $50, more with the tax, so was not going to just throw it out.  Why do I do that!!!!!!

Well as God is my witness------I will not fall for that again.

Just HAD to vent!!!!

I think most of us who love makeup have been where you are. I don't usually watch the presentations because even though I don't need something the presenters will try very hard to make me think I do.

Just don't beat yourself up over it. In the future try and refrain from watching. It gets easier with time too. You keep saying no and it becomes an ingrained habit.

In addition it is very difficult, if near impossible, to tell what a foundation looks like in person from watching television presentations. With shipping and handling being so much on a return, I think a lot of us have been burned and no longer purchase something unless we have seen it previously in person...

Regular Contributor

Yes, I understand how you feel. I've ordered when I shouldn't have bothered. Cosmetics on QVC have become so repetitive. I started de-cluttering my house over a year ago and it has affected my purchasing. I don't want to lose the space I created. So, I instinctively buy less. The pleasure of having less "stuff" is better than the makeup items which are usually unfulfilling. Good luck to you and don't be angry at yourself. 

Honored Contributor

Re: So mad at myself!!!

[ Edited ]

@wagirl wrote:

First of all, I am so mad that I caved in and bought make up I really didn't need; but on top of that I HAD to pay almost $8 to send it back!!!!! Bought Jay Manuels foundation powder from the H shopping channel  when it was a special value a few days ago and it was horrible----- but it cost almost $50, more with the tax, so was not going to just throw it out.  Why do I do that!!!!!

Just HAD to vent!!!!

@wagirl

You need to interrupt that pattern ...   If you repeatedly spend that kind of money on impulse, just change what you do.

Suggestions ..... Turn off the TV and  don't watch the presentations .... if you feel the urge to get the item, take the action to write down the Item #, and then walk away for a few hours.    Or just put it on your Wish List and then walk away.   

Other suggestions would be to NEVER use easy pay ... see if you still want it if you have to pay full price.      OR .... go into your bathroom (or wherever) and look at the unused bottles or things that were mistakes.   

It's so easy to order online by checking a few boxes ... oftentimes it doesn't even feel like you're spending cash!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@wagirl wrote:

First of all, I am so mad that I caved in and bought make up I really didn't need; but on top of that I HAD to pay almost $8 to send it back!!!!! Bought Jay Manuels foundation powder from the H shopping channel  when it was a special value a few days ago and it was horrible----- but it cost almost $50, more with the tax, so was not going to just throw it out.  Why do I do that!!!!!

Just HAD to vent!!!!

@wagirl

You need to interrupt that pattern ...   If you repeatedly spend that kind of money on impulse, just change what you do.

Suggestions ..... Turn off the TV and  don't watch the presentations .... if you feel the urge to get the item, take the action to write down the Item #, and then walk away for a few hours.    Or just put it on your Wish List and then walk away.   

Other suggestions would be to NEVER use easy pay ... see if you still want it if you have to pay full price.      OR .... go into your bathroom (or wherever) and look at the unused bottles or things that were mistakes.   

It's so easy to order online by checking a few boxes ... oftentimes it doesn't even feel like you're spending cash!

I will add another suggestion: Be very aware that reading this forum can also lead to impulse buying. Maybe make yourself not open certain threads that may lead to more "glassy eyes." :-)

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]
Excellent suggestions from everyone. I'm 58 know what works for me and what doesn't. Not one who needs excessive amount of products. Example my make-up collection consists-BarePro, Tarte Rainforest Pallet, Tarte set of three eyeliners, Tarte Lights Camera Lashes, Two Marvelous Moxie & Two lipliners, Skin bridal setting spray. Do own nice collection of IT brushes. In the past used to feel needed extra this or that. Especially! Latest newest pallets. Not so! Easy to get into lusting newest version of whatever, Especially! Do to YouTube beauty guru's. Won't say I'll never treat myself. Selectively do so. Takes courage to share your experience. Recently learned a valuable lesson. Though I was upset with myself grateful for the experience. Life continues to teach us. Thanks for sharing. Forgot! Ordered new Tarte shape and tape concealer. Thanks Q!😍
Valued Contributor

If it makes you feel any better my experience is worse than yours.I tried and returned that foundation before and I ordered 2 TSV kits anyway.

I thought I didn't apply it the right way after watching his presentations.I would have kept them just for the concealer but the sponges are not very good.So I have to also pay return fees.

Honored Contributor

Good to hear that there are more out there that have done this deed too. I really don't have a problem with impulse buying--can say no very easily and do, so am not too worried that I will have to go into recovery over this. Just once in a blue moon, I get the crazies. That was my blue moon---

Esteemed Contributor

Makeup and skin care really are impulse purchases, especially when you are on the hunt for the perfect lipstick or foundation or concealer.

it's the same when you are buying at bricks and mortar stores too only you aren't buying without trying or looking at a product more than once. I think that's why I prefer drugstore brands because they cost less to start out with.

Respected Contributor

@wagirl   don't feel bad, i too fell for the powder to cream gimmick. then he mentioned Korean technology.   is that a buzz word or what . 

to TOP it off,  i caved on the Michael Buble perfume set!    it was misrepresented as a romantic floral fragrance. the floral is non-existent -  is all base notes and very masculine because it is all musk on the drydown. HSN pulled the item #  the reviews are dreadful.

Honored Contributor

Oh gosh, I have a drawer full of  "what-was-I-thinking-stuff". And then the thought of all that money I spent on it...Woman SurprisedWoman Embarassed