Super Contributor

So I wrote to Olay about Animal Testing...

Here is their response:

<tt>hanks for contacting Olay about our policy on research involving animals. P&G products are used in homes five billion times a day around the world. We are committed to improving lives with high quality products, and ensuring they are safe for people and the environment. Animal research is an exceedingly rare event at P&G. Today, we complete more than 99 percent of all safety evaluations without testing on animals. The remaining tiny percentage comes from studies required by law or in cases where there are no alternatives available. We appreciate your dedication to this cause and support changes in laws and regulations around the world to reduce and eliminate unnecessary testing with animals. We are passionate about continuing our progress in alternatives to research involving animals. • We are a leader in alternatives to animal testing investing over $275 million, and helping to develop more than 50 proven alternative methods. • We collaborate with governments and academia to promote acceptance of alternatives. We actively share our discoveries so others can benefit from our progress, and our work has appeared in more than 1,000 scientific publications. • We approach our research with respect, openness, and responsibility by using animals only as a last resort, working with animal welfare organizations, and ensuring the highest standards of care and with the fewest animals possible. Thanks again for getting in touch with us. We hope this information is helpful. Shekira Olay Team </tt> 
 <tt>
</tt>
 <tt>
</tt>
 <tt>Me: I guess I cutoff the "T" in "Thanks"</tt> 
Honored Contributor

Re: So I wrote to Olay about Animal Testing...

That's interesting. Thanks for posting their response.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Esteemed Contributor

Thanks for writing to Olay about animal testing. And it was an interesting response. I should be like you and write to those companies who test on animals instead of just spouting hot air. Although I do speak loudly with my checkbook. Thanks again.

Trees are the lungs of the Earth
Honored Contributor

yeah, I knew they still tested. Sad.

Super Contributor

Yes---I wrote to Estee Lauder, too---now I have to write to L'oreal...was glad that NYX was cruelty free and now they will be owned by L'oreal. It is interesting how they gloss over it with the "only when required by law". I replied that maybe they should not do business with those places that require it by law if it was an important issue to them.

Super Contributor

On 6/18/2014 KateChopin said:

Yes---I wrote to Estee Lauder, too---now I have to write to L'oreal...was glad that NYX was cruelty free and now they will be owned by L'oreal. It is interesting how they gloss over it with the "only when required by law". I replied that maybe they should not do business with those places that require it by law if it was an important issue to them.

They make it sound like they are just following the law when the truth is it is their choice to sell to China. They would not be breaking any law by choosing to not sell there.

Super Contributor

If anyone can "work with governments" to "promote alternatives" it's a behemoth like Procter & Gamble Glad to hear they've invested a healthy chunk to develop alternatives, and that they're 99% animal testing free, but they're not there yet. Too many companies ARE able to exist without animal testing. The reason they can't is because, like myshell said, they choose to sell to China. That won't change, though, because they're not going to stop distribution there, they're a publicly owned company whose shareholders wouldn't stand for it.

The more letters they receive like this, the more (as someone suggested on another thread) we take this to the social media, the scales will tip and it will eventually be more profitable to them to stop with that 1%. Money is the only thing that will make a difference.

Regular Contributor

I haven't bought anything under the umbrella of Proctor and Gamble for years. I spend much of my time in stores studying the packaging from what I've learned on the internet.

Go to their Facebook page and ask the questions. I have done that with several companies. It is seen by so many people.

Super Contributor

Thank you for posting. Does Clinique animal test ?

Honored Contributor

On 6/19/2014 BigBro6 said:

Thank you for posting. Does Clinique animal test ?

Yes, Clinique does test on animals.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau