Respected Contributor

Re: So I'm seeing a plastic surgeon re fillers on this coming Friday...

[ Edited ]

Arnica Montana is recommended to help prevent bruising. It worked with my prophylactic mastectomy with immediate reconstruction.

Super Contributor

I'm in my late sixties and I tried Juvederm about five years ago.  The only thing I got out of it was $1200 poorer and some unslightly bruising.  I had to go back to the place for laser treatment to try to reduce the bruising. 

I didn't notice any difference.  My husband (who did not know I had had the treatment) did not notice any difference and none of my friends made any positive remarks (they also did not know).  I'm not sure that when you reach a certain age that fillers make all that much of a difference.  My next move will be for an actual face lift. 

Valued Contributor

You've gotten many comments from people who have had work done.  I'll counter it.  I've always been anti-plastic surgery and fillers.  No matter what, it looks fake.  Age beautifully and gracefully.  Wear SPF every day and use Retin A.  

I am reminded of Bobbi Brown's comment about this topic:  you always look like you've had work done.

Esteemed Contributor

@CalMom wrote:

Arnica Montana is recommended to help prevent bruising. It worked with my prophylactic mastectomy with immediate reconstruction.

YEs, this is what I use when getting Restalyne

Valued Contributor

Sassenach1, you bring up a valid point, one I took into consideration for a very long time. Hopefully, I'll have just enough done to leave people guessing. It's a tough balancing act for sure. I so appreciate all of the kind replies and info, tips and opinions. I will be sure to check back in after Friday in case anyone is interested in my experience. You ladies rock!

Esteemed Contributor

I have to disagree with the poster who said it never looks good. That just isn't true.

I do work as an esthetician and I work for derms and plastic surgeons. I myself have never had botox or fillers despite being able to get any of these for free. I have an autoimmune disorder and have had lots of problems with infections, so I choose not to just to be safe. That has been difficult because i really want to.

Have I seen bad examples of both botox and filler? Absolutely but in almost every case it is because the client doesn't know when to stop and they find a dr that cares more about money than his reputation.

I can honestly say after years of working where I work, I have never seen a bad outcome. Now the drs I work for will not do work on someone they believe has an unhealthy view of how they look. There have been women who come in who obviously had fillers overdone somewhere else wanting even more because they have a distorted image of themselves and our drs never work on someone like that and many times recommend they see a counselor.

I really have no reason to lie about this either because no one here knows where I work and who I work with. If I thought otherwise I would have no problem saying so here or anywhere else and I would definitely do so. 

For every women you see with an obvious trout pout or over filled cheeks, there are 10-15 who you would never suspect had anything done. There are many times when a client leaves our office and if I didn't know they actually got filler, I would never guess they did. I have been in the beauty field for over 25 yrs and working in esthetics for over 10 (almost 15) and I have a pretty good eye for cosmetic procedures. These women do not look like they have had an obvious procedure and most of the time even friends and family would not know unless they were told. 

You most definitely want to find a doctor who is highly trained in dermal fillers like Juvaderm, Restylane, etc... and should do research once you do find that doctor. There are lots of drs and even dentists out there who take a quick course and start doing this in their offices to add income to their practice. That would not be the route I would take at all and these are usually the times when I see a bad outcome.

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Valued Contributor

Very interested to know who told you the info about the fillers and Botox and their "lasting time."  I just had the Exact same procedures you are talking about and to say I am ELATED is an understatement!!!  First of all, Botox lasts approximately 3 months, though I am approaching that time frame, I still look nearly the same, so I will do a slight refresh just before the holidays. Next, I had my lips enhanced with Juvederm, which, for me, was a last minute "impulse buy" that turned out to be the BEST DECISION EVER!  Juvederm lasts up to a year, btw!  And what you may not realize is, though expensive, it can be reversed, if you are really not happy.  But, I firmly believe if you go to a doctor who's belief is "LESS IS MORE TO START, WE CAN ALWAYS DO MORE" you will be pleased.  One last thing, I had virtually NO down time.  There is a chance of a tiny bit of bruising at the injection site, but that's about it. That's why it is important that you don't use Ibuprophen or any other type of blood thinner beforehand.  My results are exactly what I wanted. Less tired looking with smoothed out crows feet, a smooth, younger looking forehead, no 11s between my eyebrows, and lips that I actually LOVE putting lipstick on!  And guess what the reaction has been from others, including my family?  "Did you have your makeup professionally done today??"  Not one person guessed Botox or filler!  One of the best decisions I have ever made and that's bc I did my homework and found the best doctor around. Best of luck to you!💄💕