Respected Contributor

I have natural nails, I wear them on the longer side.  I paint them myself weekly.

Well lately between the cold, dry winter, washing my hands 12 X more than usual and hand sanitizers my hands are nails are dry and fragile.  I can barely keep my manicure fresh for a week (I am used to 7-10 days).

So, I looked into dip manicures.

After several trials - with no real problems or disasters.  I now have this down pat.  I do 2 THIN coats of clear dip.  Buff lightly and apply regular nail polish over the clear dip.

My manicure now lasts 14+ days easily.  If it was not for the grow-out area I could have gone longer.

For the cost of a $40 dollar kit I am very happy.    If you have time and are willing to try something new.......

Honored Contributor

Re: So I bought a nail dip kit

@Abrowneyegirl   What exactly is a dip kit?  When I think of dip I see you sticking your finger in some polish.  lol

kindness is strength
Regular Contributor

I have also been looking at these kits. Which one did you buy?  

It also seems as if this is basically acrylics again in a different format.  I wonder if it will weaken the nails.

Respected Contributor

@hgsuddle wrote:

I have also been looking at these kits. Which one did you buy?  

It also seems as if this is basically acrylics again in a different format.  I wonder if it will weaken the nails.

Since I do not put on tips and do all kinds of fancy things I do NOT file the tops of my natural nail ever.  I wear a base coat to protect my natural nail.

I bought a Lavender Violet kit and my friend gave me some Rossi to try.  I did not like the Rossi

Respected Contributor

@Katcat1 wrote:

@Abrowneyegirl   What exactly is a dip kit?  When I think of dip I see you sticking your finger in some polish.  lol

Youtube dip powder manicure.  It is pretty cool what some people are doing at home!

Respected Contributor

The kits are available on Amazon !!!!

Valued Contributor

@Abrowneyegirl I do gel polish manicures. Do you think one is better than the other? I have no experience with dip manicures. I haven't gone there yet because to me it seems like it would be more time consuming doing one nail at a time vs painting them all at once. Also is it messy dealing with the powder? How is the removal process? What kit are you using? TIA for any info you can give me. 

Respected Contributor

@Tsukiko wrote:

@Abrowneyegirl I do gel polish manicures. Do you think one is better than the other? I have no experience with dip manicures. I haven't gone there yet because to me it seems like it would be more time consuming doing one nail at a time vs painting them all at once. Also is it messy dealing with the powder? How is the removal process? What kit are you using? TIA for any info you can give me. 

I can only say Gel manicures damaged my nails.  I only had gel manicures done before trips and vacations and every time it was removed I had damaged nails.

It goes really fast.  No light required to cure or set it.

When the weather is nicer I will definitely do it outside. As it is a powder and could make a mess.  I put down a hand towel to catch any mess.

I use a peelable base coat or a traditional base coat under the Dip.  So far I have amazed at how easily it comes off with 100% acetone.  I thought I would have to soak and file for hours- but that is not the case.  Maybe if you have a lot of coats......

You can remove the regular nail polish that is on top of the dip with regular nail polish and repaint your nails with another color.

I hope that helps!