Respected Contributor

So I asked my hairdresser if those Light combs and helmets grow hair...............

She said she had never seen or heard of any good results. She said ROGAINE does work. Do any you gals use ROGAINE?

Respected Contributor

Re: So I asked my hairdresser if those Light combs and helmets grow hair...............

Yes, rogaine does work, but I developed an allergy to it (don't worry if you don't have a lot of allergies, you'll probably be fine!)  It makes my head itch too much for me to use!

I have been using Andrew Lessman's Hair Skin & Nail formula for the past year and a half, and that definitely helps!

Trusted Contributor

Re: So I asked my hairdresser if those Light combs and helmets grow hair...............

If you have a real problem, I think I would ask a dermatologist.  I doubt if a hairdresser has the level of knowledge to give a definitive answer.

According to the webmd website: "You may have heard that laser combs, brushes, hoods, and caps can help halt hair loss. The theory is that when hair follicles absorb laser light at a certain level, it stimulates hair to grow. But there’s not enough evidence that any of these devices restore hair or prevent balding." 

As to the supplement biotin helping, also according to the webmd site: " No scientific studies have shown biotin to prevent or treat hair loss."

Personally I do take a hair, skin, and nails supplement and have found that my nails are longer and stronger than they have ever been.  I haven't had any issues with my hair so can't personally speak to that. 

Frequent Contributor

My husband and I wanted to buy one of these products, but changed our minds when each brand said the same thing.  If you stop using it, your hair will eventually go back to the way it was.  That means you should never stop using it.  That was too discouraging to us, so we passed. 

Honored Contributor

@BLB wrote:

My husband and I wanted to buy one of these products, but changed our minds when each brand said the same thing.  If you stop using it, your hair will eventually go back to the way it was.  That means you should never stop using it.  That was too discouraging to us, so we passed. 

Same goes for Rogaine use, you must use it for a lifetime.

Respected Contributor

It something were to work for me I'd have no problem continuing to use it.  But you won't know until you try.  I have tried different brands of the hair/skin/nails vitamins and they have not worked.  There's so many factors why someone is experience thinning or hair loss and what works for one doesn't mean it will work for someone else.

Honored Contributor

I agree, hair loss is quite traumatic, I would love to try Hair Max laser comb,but i keep Toppik hair fibers in my hair all the time, and Hair Max CS has told me this will keep the laser from penetrating the scalp properly.

Occasional Contributor

I use Rogaine and have had good success with it. My hair is much thicker. My dermatologist said to use it, and said it was alright to use the higher strength (males strength vs the lower female strength).. She said to just be careful about it dripping down on your face and to wash your hands thoroughly after using. Of course you must continue to use it or your hair loss will resume. I purchase it at Costco. Good luck!

Valued Contributor

i talked to my dermatologist about this b/c I have a small patch on my forehead and she said that I could use Minoxidil,but I would have to use it forever and it takes time.  That was 4 years ago.  I am at the age when this happens.  I take Dr. Lessman's Hair, Skin and Vitamins and my hair grows fast but this area has not changed very much, but I try.  I have used a minoxidil by Kerastase over 4 months but I have not noticed much.  My stylist told me that it will take time and, like the dermatologist, I will have to use it forever.

Honored Contributor

My hair has thinned a lot. Mine is due to aging & being hypothyroid. It's a side effect of the medication. I take EPO (evening primrose oil) & HHS&N (biotin). I read biotin does not actually cause hair growth but makes the hair shaft to feel thicker so you think you have more hair. My hair does not feel thicker after taking biotin for over 2 yrs. My hair does seem to grow in length faster. My nails are really growing & stronger from taking the EPO & the HHS&N. I also use Beekman cuticle cream which I really like. If your hair is thinning search EPO & hair growth. You can apply it to your scalp or take internally or both. I started taking the capsules years ago to help with hot flashes. I stopped when I thought I no longer needed them. Since the hair thinning it dawned on me I had stopped taking them so I started taking them again. I'm going to get some EPO liquid to use on my scalp.