Respected Contributor

Re: Smokey eye on mature eyes?

Actually I think a smokey eye, done correctly with mattes vs. shimmer can be great looking. I think for me doing a smokey now is easier than when I was younger. Meaning, I use less product and blend it out more, I use less liner too.. So it looks subdued and not like I just got socked!

"Cats are poetry in motion. Dogs are gibberish in neutral." -Garfield
Honored Contributor

@Reeverwrote:

@TYwrote:

@Shanus

I'm thinking that the photo has quite a bit of photoshop on there to make the complexion better than what it is in real life. While the smokey eye looks good in the photo, I would guess it looks a lot more harsh in real life on Maye. I've seen some of the Covergirl TV commercials featuring Maye on the E! channel and don't think that a lot of dark eye makeup is flattering.

I am so tired of the sales ploys and gimmicks the advertisers are using to get older women to try and look younger. Too many women in this country refuse to accept the natural aging process. Until consumers stop falling into the trap these commercials are going to continue. Jennifer Anniston is in one now and it makes me sick.

@Reever  They’re playing to our insecurities. Once we realize that, their BS can’t trap us into believing those results are possible.

Honored Contributor

@Reeverwrote:

I think it draws attention to crows feet and fine lines. Sadly, the eye area always gives away ones age similar to the hands.

anyone here have a "Turkey Neck" ??

I refer to mine affectionately as my “wattle”. It is an amazing place for babies to grab while Having lingerie changes.

Good point about receding eyes vs. protruding one’s (think (think “fish eyes” or “the eyes that were God’s afterthought”).

My eyes are very large and very very prominent so I DO a smoky approach with no mascara in an attempt to make my eyes look as though they actually belong to my face.

I only use super neutral shades of taupe, actually just darker shades of my skin tone.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Good for you, @Shanus.  Your approach must have helped many who came to you professionally come away happy.

I look at Dominique's videos as I might look at fashion on the runway.  In other words, take from it what I might like, such as placement of color or a useful technique from her hairstyling videos, but I don't have any personal expectations that I would achieve her amazing bone structure!   She does also come across as a kind person, I think, which makes watching her just that much better. 

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

@GingerPeachwrote:

Good for you, @Shanus.  Your approach must have helped many who came to you professionally come away happy.

I look at Dominique's videos as I might looking at fashion on the runway.  In other words, take from it what I might like, such as placement of color or a useful technique from her hairstyling videos, but I don't have any personal expectations that I would achieve her amazing bone structure!   She does also come across as a kind person, I think, which makes watching her just that much better. 

@GingerPeach  Oh definitely. She has everything working for her. You’re correct. Take the techniques, colors, if your coloring is similar to hers, techniques, etc. She’s very down to earth.

Honored Contributor

p.s.  @Shanus

I just realize I typed "looking" instead of "look" in front of "at fashion on the runway."  

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Esteemed Contributor

I used to love a smokey eye and it looked great on me. I have a lot of lid to work with and to show. Now, a cleaner look is for me with neutral shades and a tightline, showing lots of lid. 

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Reeverwrote:

I think it draws attention to crows feet and fine lines. Sadly, the eye area always gives away ones age similar to the hands.

Thankfully, NO, and if I did, I'd have plastic surgery to get rid of it.

Respected Contributor

It would help accentuate the lines and wrinkles, probably removing any doubt that the wearer is a senior citizen.

Honored Contributor

@sol_lunawrote:

@Reeverwrote:

Thankfully, NO, and if I did, I'd have plastic surgery to get rid of it.

That is so conforting to those who are affected, @sol_luna

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland