Honored Contributor

Re: Smokey eye on mature eyes?

Perhaps more recent photo of Maye Musk & more natural daytime makeup.706A11FA-FBB3-4847-BBD5-4E402B3977F1.jpeg

Honored Contributor

I like the Smokey eye, but with not a lot of below lash makeup. Maybe just mascara and a partial line of a dark colored pencil on the outer eye to outer iris (if staring straight ahead).

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Esteemed Contributor

I have tried it with varying degrees of success. More often than not, I look like I have a black eye. I know women older than I am who are adept and achieve it beautifully, I just don't think I am that talented.

I do better sticking to one shade, like a taupish brown.

Honored Contributor

@Lallywrote:

@ECBGwrote:

@Lallywrote:

@ECBGwrote:

I wear a smokey eye for deep eyes.  It's different for every shape.  I use this pallette.  Revlon Siren.  The perfect taupe.  So many people ask me what I use.  I use the lower L and upper R.

Image result for revlon eyeshadow palette in siren

I have this great compact, too. It is the only Revlon I own. I am always buying new shadows and they make the top drawer and others like this one get put aside. Today, I am going to make a point to choose Siren to wear.  Glad you reminded me. 😀

@Lally,It just works, doesn't it?  The perfect neutral.  Since I wear so much color, colorful eye makeup would be "too much".

When I go to Walmart, if I'm low I'll pick up three.  I can't afford to run out!Smiley Happy

Yep, it was a happy surprise for me. Someone had posted on this board about this shadow. I loved the cool toned shades so much that I bought it fully expecting to be disappointed in the quality. It isnt the best, but it works pretty well with a primer. Stays true all day. And, the price is super low. Smart you grabbing extras. 

@LallyIt was probably my post that you saw.  I've worn this shadow from the time it came out.  Having worked at Dillards and Belk after teaching, I went through every brand and no one could give me a better color. The only other color I even liked was at Mac.  I've posted it more than twice for sure!  Enjoy!Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Here's an interesting video of a "light matte smokey eye" from Dominique Sachse.  I discovered her YouTube videos fairly recently but if you're in the Houston area, you've probably seen her on your local news.  

(You may not agree with everything she does.  I'm not at all sure about the tape idea but she's watchable.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNjbAYfT_OU

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Respected Contributor

I think it draws attention to crows feet and fine lines. Sadly, the eye area always gives away ones age similar to the hands.

anyone here have a "Turkey Neck" ??

Esteemed Contributor

@Shanus

I'm thinking that the photo has quite a bit of photoshop on there to make the complexion better than what it is in real life. While the smokey eye looks good in the photo, I would guess it looks a lot more harsh in real life on Maye. I've seen some of the Covergirl TV commercials featuring Maye on the E! channel and don't think that a lot of dark eye makeup is flattering.

Respected Contributor

@TYwrote:

@Shanus

I'm thinking that the photo has quite a bit of photoshop on there to make the complexion better than what it is in real life. While the smokey eye looks good in the photo, I would guess it looks a lot more harsh in real life on Maye. I've seen some of the Covergirl TV commercials featuring Maye on the E! channel and don't think that a lot of dark eye makeup is flattering.

I am so tired of the sales ploys and gimmicks the advertisers are using to get older women to try and look younger. Too many women in this country refuse to accept the natural aging process. Until consumers stop falling into the trap these commercials are going to continue. Jennifer Anniston is in one now and it makes me sick.

Honored Contributor

@Reeverwrote:

I think it draws attention to crows feet and fine lines. Sadly, the eye area always gives away ones age similar to the hands.

anyone here have a "Turkey Neck" ??

@Reever  Mine is just starting. Not loving it, but accepting it. Geez, I’m a Grandma. Without surgery, how many 70 yr. old women don’t have some sagging? I figure, I’m in good company.

Turkey necks (must be a nicer name) and jowls are not birth defects, but an expected part of getting older....like Depends (now that’s a scary thought), spider veins, wearing reading glasses, switching from bikinis to a one pc. swimsuit, etc.

Aging is unavoidable....as they say, it’s better than the alternative.

Honored Contributor

@GingerPeachwrote:

Here's an interesting video of a "light matte smokey eye" from Dominique Sachse.  I discovered her YouTube videos fairly recently but if you're in the Houston area, you've probably seen her on your local news.  

(You may not agree with everything she does.  I'm not at all sure about the tape idea but she's watchable.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNjbAYfT_OU

@GingerPeach Love the Dominique videos. She’s genetically gifted...looks great before she begins her hair/makeup. I think any of us of a “certain age” could get discouraged watching such outstanding beauties applying makeup and thinking we’d even come close to the “after”.

The saddest thing I used to see is women who came to me with photos of girls 20 yrs. younger w/ perfect features/complexions (& filters) and want me to do that makeup look. Using what I remembered from my psychology minor in college, we had a heart to heart so there would be no unrealistic expectations. Many times, I could do an acceptable look using similar colors, but w/ techniques appropriate for her features.