Honored Contributor

Re: Small Brown Spot on the Back of My Hand. How to Get Rid of It

@monicakm wrote:

@SilleeMee 

But this is totally flat.  It's just a spot couple of shades darker than the rest of my hand.  So what would he freeze off?  I'm 61 and I bet this spot has been on my hand at least 20 years. 

@monicakm   Is there a reason why after 20 yrs. it's bothering you now? Are you concerned enough to have a derm check it or just use a bit of concealer?

Honored Contributor

@Shanus 

I've just this year started with all the face (and hand) products.  I used to just wash my face with a gentle cleanser and apply moisturizer.  Since early spring I've been doing a lot more in the way of skincare and everything that goes on my face, goes on my hands.  The spot isn't a deal breaker and I'm not concerned enough to go under the knife so to speak to rid myself of it.  Just thought if there was a simple solution, I'd do it.  Covering it up seems like the easiest solution.

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee 

That stuff felt like it was applying legit acid on my face...as in battery acid!  No, I haven't tried that.  Didn't even think of it.  Didn't know it was for dark spots (or forgot).

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@monicakm wrote:

@SilleeMee 

That stuff felt like it was applying legit acid on my face...as in battery acid!  No, I haven't tried that.  Didn't even think of it.  Didn't know it was for dark spots (or forgot).

@monicakm 

Glycolic acid is often used as a dark spot treatment. The acid molecules are very small and can penetrate the skin like no other acid. It's good for spot removal. I would try applying it just to the dark spot, not over your entire hand.

btw - I have come to the conclusion that The Ordinary Peel is not for me. I even tried shortening the time duration to 4 minutes and it still strips my skin too much....it's just too strong for me to continue using it. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@monicakm wrote:

I have one small light brown spot on the back on one of my hands.  It's been there for years and years.  Since I've started my new skin care routine late spring of this year, I've been putting everything that goes on my face, on hands but the spot remains and I'm not sure if it's gotten any lighter.  Maybe but maybe not.  I'm using niacinamide but no retin-A serums/creams.   In the grand scheme of things it's not a huge deal.  I doubt anyone else would ever see it but it's the only imperfection on the back of my hands and I'd like to get rid of it (without a lot of expense).  What have you used to brown spots on the hands?

These came back from a Google search along with a "bleaching" cream.  Bleaching cream I'd be willing to try but not the remedies below:

1. Laser and intense pulsed light. ...
  2. Freezing (cryotherapy). ...
  3. Dermabrasion. ...
  4. Microdermabrasion. ...
  5. Chemical peel.

@monicakm   I'm not sure if you use prescription strength Retin A. If yes, there is a bleaching cream (available online, medi spas and derm offices) called OBAGI. It's hydroquinone free...a newer formulation of the original product which did have that ingredient. 

It's called the OBAGI NU DERM BLENDER because you mix a pea size amount with the same size amount of Retin A (it works together) in your palm at night and apply. There is an entire OBAGI Professional system from cleansers to toners to an exfoliant to day and night mositurizers and then sunscreen included in a $300+ kit, but the "blender" can be purchased separatedly. I held off mentioning it to you until I could assess your replies to other suggestions to see if you'd be receptive. 

***BACK STORY: I started with the entire system (recommended by my derm) when I was 45 when I  began seeing sun damage (a few spots) on left cheek where sun comes in on drivers side, a few spots on hands and chest. I had been using Retin A for a decade already, so she added the Obagi System (the "kit" lasted over 3 months for me). ***It was great having all my skincare products, one line laid out day and night on opposite sides of the sink. Convenience and it works! After 2 kits...6 months, all areas were bleached clear, skin was sparkling, glowing and I needed no makeup. Definitely the OBAGI NU DERM BLENDER is still my go to product whenever I see a spot. I no longer purchase the entire kit.

I have mentioned OBAGI here before. You can purchase an entire line of products separately. I recently changed to OBAGI PROFESSIONAL C 20% from my Skinceuticals Vit. C that went up to $166. Check out lovelyskindotcom, dermstoredotcom, skinmarketdotcom and see who has the best price...all sites always  have discounts running or specials. Sign up with your email to receive notifications of discounts. BE SURE YOU PURCHASE THE OBAGI NU DERM BLENDER WITHOUT HYDROQUINONE ...it will state that in the description. You still may want to check with your derm about this product to make sure it's right for you. I highly recommend it and still use it several times a year for a month at night when some spots or sun damage show up. Let me know if you have questions or you can Google the product. 

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee 

I haven't had the nerve to try it again since it ate off my skin barrier! LOL  I started to the other morning but backed out.   I wonder if it would do any good at 2 minutes.  Five was ok the first time.  Ten was WAY too long.  Between it and the glycolic acid, I just don't know what to do Smiley Sad  I'm afraid of both Smiley Surprised

Honored Contributor

@Shanus 

Thank you so much for the detailed nfo on OBAGI.  I'm glad you're happy with it.  I've never heard of it.  I don't have a dermatologist and I don't use Retin A.  For some reason I'm afraid of it LOL  Maybe I tried some of my mom's decades ago.  I don't know.  Maybe it's the negative things I've read about it.  I KNOW it works.  I have sensitive skin and no pain tolerance.  That's probably why I'm afraid to try it Smiley Surprised