Regular Contributor

Re: Slightly off topic - Wonderful Compliment Today

My mother used Merle Norman & she had beautiful skin too.  I think it had zinc oxide in it so she was getting sunscreen back when there was no sunscreen.  I've used it off & on but it is not so easy to find now.

Honored Contributor

@Wiscfan3 -

I know how you feel.

I always thought if I could ask for anything in "my next life", I'd like beautiful skin.

My friend says oh you have such nice skin but she can barely see with her glasses lol!

I guess it's not too bad but I have also a kind of gauge in my nose from a dermatologist who wasn't too deft in the cutting away process! I needed that like a hole in the head!

Once when I was in school, I had a pimple-horrors right on my chin! I took red food polish, drew a cut and put a bandaid over it for a week! This was in I think Jr. high, I wasn't going to hear any of the mean boys comments.

I think nowadays, a lot of baby boomers esp. are having things removed so you shouldn't feel alone.

I see a lot of bandaids on faces.

We really weren't too great about skin protection back then. We made goals of not going back to school in the fall until

1-we'd lost 30 pounds (I was chubbyWoman LOL

and 2-we had great tans

such inspired goals dontcha knowWoman LOL

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Esteemed Contributor

I would say this is very much on topic!

So happy for you to have had someone notice your beautiful skin!

@IUredheadAre you using the MN pink mask? If they still have it. I remember that from eons ago.

Contributor

@Harpa Yes, they still have the pink mask. I have it, but don't use it with any regularity. 

I use their day & night anti-aging complex moisturizers. 

Super Contributor

@on the bay  Thanks for cheering me up with your comments. All we can do is laugh sometimes. I also have an experience with a dermatologist who did more harm than good on my nose. She froze a spot off the side of it and kept spraying that thing so long I think she took most of the skin off.  It took forever for it to heal and still is not right. And I did the same as you-- spent summers trying to lose weight and get tan!! You are right-- I do see a lot of people with bandages, etc on their faces. I always feel for them and know they are probably dealing with cancer concerns just as I am. 

@IUredhead Thanks also for your kind words, and I hope I didn't take away from the happiness of your thread by bringing up my skin issues. I am happy ( and envious)  for your beautiful skiin ....thanks for the positive thoughts. 

Thanks to to all others too for the kind comments. 

Honored Contributor

@Wiscfan3 -

I'm glad I could cheer you upSmiley Happy 

Not to make light at all of the seriousness of skin cancer, which is why the dermatologist is one doctor I still visit at least once a year.

I hope it all comes out ok and clear for you! One thing that is always hopeful is that we can catch it early

with visits.

Also I read several years ago that there is a vaccine for late stage skin cancer.

This is from NIH in 2017

"Results from a new study show that, in patients with melanoma, a personalized treatment vaccine generated a robust immune response against the cancer and may have helped to prevent it from returning."

I hope you never have to face it again nor any of us!

And very neat to read about your same experiences! Maybe we went to the same school and visited the same beach! And the same dermatologist?! Some of them sure arent too great about their surgical techniques! You'd think they would be!

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

Nothing is better than a surprising compliment from anyone anywhere. I try to give them out myself---but not in a creepy way--saw a lovely lady at the grocery store who was wearing the most devine shade of lavender and she looked amazing in it--had to comment.Too much nastiness in the word right now--we need more kindness. 

Respected Contributor

I'll never forget a compliment I received years and years ago from a little fella I was babysitting (as a teen) and  the little guy told me I looked like a "fairy princess".......wow !!!???. Out of the mouths of babes. I never forgot that and am trying hard to keep up my "fairy princess" disguise....harder every darn year! Unexpected compliments are the best. If I see someone who looks great I tell them.