Honored Contributor

Re: Sleeping only on your back to help prevent wrinkles?

The most important reason to use sunscreen is that it can reduce your chances of getting several types of skin cancer.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

I must sleep on my back so I can elevate one leg  1ft.  due to extensive stainless steel "spare parts".     I probably have as many wrinkles as anyone else...................

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Respected Contributor

@Sawn, Angie of HotandFlashy did a video on this, and it made sense to me.  I ordered the pillow she recommended and finally got to where I could "kind of" sleep on it.  I did feel like my eyes were less puffy in the morning, and I do think my wrinkles were flattening out, but that said...it was pretty uncomfortable, and I don't sleep well anyway.  You add my tendency to have insomnia to the uncomfortable position, and well...my wrinkles may have been deminishing but I felt like total c*** from lack of sleep! 

Respected Contributor

I think you have a lot of options when you're young (I could sleep standing on my head back then).  As we age, our bodies tend to reduce our choices!

Laura loves cats!
Respected Contributor

I was a stomach sleeper until my early 40s.  COULDN'T sleep any other way.  Then, I got a pinched nerve in my neck, and had to force myself to sleep on my side.  It wasn't easy, but I did it.  

Then, around 50, I realized that the left side of my face looked much worse than the right side.  I realized it had to be from sleeping on my left side.  I then forced myself to sleep on my back.  Again, it wasn't easy, but I did it.  I will still turn onto my side on occasion if I'm having trouble falling asleep.  But, I keep my face off the pillow!  And, I always wake up on my back.  

Not only do I find that sleeping on my back is good for my face, but I find it's also better for my shoulders and hips, since it takes pressure off of them.

Respected Contributor

@CHATTY wrote:

I try to sleep on my back, but always end up rolling over.  I must admit that I tend to sleep on my left side and that side of my face is more wrinkled.  

The side I sleep on is definitely much more wrinkled!!!

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Yes, I've done this for decades. And sleep on satin pillowcase. It probably does help to an extent.

Originally joined board 12-14-2004
Trusted Contributor

@Sue98 wrote:

Is anyone able to do this?  I simply cannot do it.  I am a side sleeper for the most part.  

@Sue98oh how I try! even when my bad neck/back are a mess I simply cannot Smiley Sad  I'm with you. I wish I could though!!!

My son went to Heaven 4/15/2018
I love and miss him so very much. God Bless you my dear Nicky
Honored Contributor

I'd get more wrinkles from lack of sleep trying to sleep on my back.

I sleep on my left side and that's that!

Valued Contributor

I am finally able to sleep on my back after reading a recent Dr. Mercola blog on how to do it. I have a small Sobakawa buck pillow and I turn the pillow so that it's lengthwise so I'm able to mold it under the back of my neck. For some reason doing this has enabled me to comfortably sleep on my back for most of the night. I have been having shoulder pain from sleeping on my left side, not to mention waking up with those lovely creases. So this has worked a treat. So far, so good.Smiley Happy